new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ohnodroneo, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ohnodroneo

ohnodroneo Private E-2

i have a dell inspiron 8600, old old, yea, i know

anyway, the c-dive only can hold 4 gB.
    i bought a new drive, a 120gB, and have been saving files to it whenver possible, because the C seems to stay at 50mb to 1gb, no matter how much matenence i do.

is there anyway i can change the settings to use the new drive (displayed as "D" in My Computer) to the default drive (so it stores the temp files, and the free space quickens the computer)

thanks

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

No. I'm assuming this drive is an external plugged into a USB port. The only way to do use it as the main drive would be to open the laptop, remove the current drive and install the bigger one. But, it won't boot or have any of your data or programs unless you imaged the current drive C: to it. But since this drive D: is most likely an external and it's most likely in an enclosure of some type, you'd have to remove it from the enclosure. Not a big deal if you built the external yourself. If it was purchased 'pre-built' then you're probably better off buying a new bigger drive. Keep in mind that a lot of free space may not necessarily speed up your PC. A lot more goes into having a faster PC than an empty drive. If the PC has a Celeron 400mhz CPU and 128mb of RAM, installing a 250gb hard drive is not going to speed it up....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds