wireless wont work? default or external?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ohnodroneo, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ohnodroneo

ohnodroneo Private E-2

my laptop (runs on XP) was shared as more of a family thing, and each created their own accounts.
    there was two administrators, and two limeted.
    one ofthe administrator accounts was just swamped with hidden files, so i switched thetype to limeted,and deleted the account.
    i made a new account to replace it, and used the computer as usaual.
    then i shut it off, and when i rebooted the next day, no wireless connection was there (the icon) i assumed it was a hardware issue, so i just restarted, then tried to install a linksys wireless adapter i had lying around.
    the setup wa going until about 30% when the wizard stopped, and read the eror messase "cannot continue setup/ iKernel.exe / acess denied" (slashes represent new lines)
    tried a virus/malware scan, and no results.
    what can i do?
    its not a lack of a network, ive taken it over to my neighbors andtried to use theirs,but same issue

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Sounds like you need to take ownership of a file, namely iKernel.exe. I would guess it was created on the deleted account and is no longer accessible. First do a search to find the file in question, google will help with the how to of "taking ownership of a file"..

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295278/en-us
    I did some fairly extensive research for you, and everything points to COM permissions. Read the KB article I linked to; a fix is detailed in it....

Good luck!

(the article is written for Win2000, but everything I read tells me it should work for XP also)

UPDATE: I also found this article and maybe it will help....

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds