installed vista on old hp now monitor is frozen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keeley_b@yahoo.com, Aug 24, 2008.

1. keeley_b@yahoo.com

keeley_b@yahoo.com Private E-2

I have an old hp desktop that continuously gets infected and freezes up. I have to reboot it to factory settings which wipes out my windows xp. I decided to try and download vista (disk from a dell laptop). It downloaded, however, I now get a floating message..."pc video resolution setting out of range change setting ti recommended resolution 1280x1024@60hz."

I have tried f10 system recovery but i do not know what to do from there. Please help!!!!!!

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

Some more detail board,mem, everything

3. keeley_b@yahoo.com

keeley_b@yahoo.com Private E-2

ok this may be lengthy...

I have a 4-5 year old hp pavilion a556x. It is ALWAYS getting infected and I have had to (on several occasions) restore it to factory settings which wipes out microsoft word and all my other programs. This most recent time of infection i purchased norton antivirus and it could not be used until microsoft was updated. I tried to update and it would not because word was not installed and the computer woud not accept my product key anymore. I decided then to try and install vista. My husband has a brand new dell laptop and the software for vista came with it. i downloaded the software and everything went fine. until that floating message happened. It will not let me onto my desktop or anything for that matter. I tried to reboot the computer while pressing f10 (recovery). I enter that mode and i get edit boot options

edit boot options for: microsoft windows vista
    path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

partition: 2
    hard disk:f806f806

[ /noexecute=optin

I submit that and the floating warning comes back with a black background:

PC video resolution setting is out of range. change setting to recommended resolution 1280x1024@60hz. red green blue

If i press f1 (setup) during reboot I get a bios setup utility that i do not know what to do with.

If I reboot into safe mode (f8) i get an error message "windows cannot complete installation in safe mode. to continue installing windows restart the computer."

i hope that is enough info...thanx for the prompt response:)

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If the OS that was on the HP was xp....then I would go back to that and do a new install with it. The Dell disk may be a proprietary version and will not install correctly on an HP.

Plus if it is already installed on the laptop....it will not validate.

Then once you have xp up and running......you need to read this: How to Protect yourself from malware!

If you do not have word/office to reinstall, you can use OpenOffice. The lack of word would not stop you from entering a product key.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds