Error 39 on CD ROM and DVD R/RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Find47, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Find47

Find47 Private E-2

Hi everyone,

I have read some previous posts regarding this problem and tried everything--removing upper and lower filters, uninstalling and reinstalling the drives, and nothing will remedy the issue. I'm hoping someone out there can help me. To summarize the problem: in "My Computer" I can no longer see either of my drives--CD ROM and a DVD R/RW, if I check my device manager they appear, however, with yellow exclamation marks next to each drive. If I click on either drives properties I am shown this error message: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)." I have scoured the internet looking for salvation and have yet to find anything that will fix it; as I stated before I have tried all of the commonly prescribed reg edits as well as some hocus pocus (physically disconnecting the actual drives) and nothing will get them back on line. Please help someone!

Thanks in advance-:cry

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    Have you booted in safe mode to see what happens there? Have you tried using system restore to roll back to a date when the drives worked? Have you used F8 to boot with the last known good configuration? If none of this works, you should post the make and model of your PC and/or motherboard and we'll go from there. If the PC is not a 'pre-built' like a Dell or HP or whatever, and you don't know the make/model of the mother board, follow these steps:
    (above instructions originally posted by MG member musksnipe... thanks muskie!)
    So, try the stuff I first mentioned (safe mode, etc), then post the info about the PC/motherboard or the Everest report and we'll go from there...
    :-D

3. Find47

Find47 Private E-2

I've tried all the suggestions and, unfortunately, things are much worse now. In all cases the cd and dvd drives didn't show up and now the system is unable to connect to the internet. I spent some time with ATT tech support and the seem to think that the tcp/ip protocols have been corrupted. They recommend reinstalling software for tcp/ip, but without the use of my drives or a connection to the internet, that now seems to be impossible. Another thing that has occurred is that I can no longer access microsoft "help and support", so I can't do another system restore. The computer is an emachines t6520 amd 3400 with an ati rs480 motherboard. At this point I don't know what I should do.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds