Rate this laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Keyser Soze, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

im looking at this one - http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668123.php

seems to blow away everything else for the price but a friend warned m it may be filled with cheap parts

i was also looking at a dell XPS, that is about the same price but specs arent as high, or what else would you recommend for under 1500

thanks

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:eek Gateway!!! They can kiss my :kissmy!!! If you can't tell, I really don't like Gateway PCs, especially their laptops. IMHO, they are one of the worst mass produced laptops available. The old saying "you get what you pay for" has never more true than it is with computers. There's a reason it is the price it is. It's a huge steaming pile of :crap

Just my two cents.... but, if it were me, I'd stay away, very, very, very far away....

Good luck!

(I looked at the specs, and it does indeed look like a great laptop. But the price seems awfully low. Like about $500 low... and I'd do some serious research on the warranty terms; 1 year limited warranty; service agreements may not be available in all areas; fees may apply to phone tech support. All of this is sending up red flags, big time.... Again, just my opinion)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

what about this dell xps i can get it for 1,217

Attached Files:

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The Dell looks good too, except that unless it has a 64bit version of Windows, it will only address 3.2gb of the 4gb of installed memory, so you're paying for RAM you won't use. The video in the Dell is significantly lower than what is posted in the Gateway specs (the Dell has nVidia 8600; the GW has the 9800). But it should be fine for most of todays games, but if you're looking for a gaming laptop, plan on spending over 2g's for a good gamer. The Dell looks like it has real good specs other than the fairly minor things I've mentioned. And I hate to say it, but if I had to buy one or the other, I'd probably buy the Gateway :cry Only because of the video. But I would probably also have more problems with the Gateway, and the problems would likely come up within 2 months after the warranty expired, and they would likely be fairly serious hardware problems.

Are these two laptops your only 2 options? I would think that with 1.5k as a budget, you'd be able to get a nice custom built Asus laptop, or maybe a Sony.... I don't really have the time (or desire ;) ) to research a laptop for you, but I'm sure if you give it a few days, some others will come along with some great suggestions for you....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds