Acer 22" widescreen not showing 1680 1050 resoloution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xray, Aug 27, 2008.

1. xray

xray Private First Class

I have just installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition on my newly built pc.

Spec:

Mobo: Asus P5E VM HDMI
    CPU : Q6600 Core 2 Quad
    Ram : 4gb (4x1gb) OCZ pc6400 (800mhz)
    Video Card : Asus GeForce 8400 GS
    Screen : Acer X223W 22'' Widescreen TFT
    My problem is that even tho I have installed the mainboard drivers, video card drivers from nvidia latest 64bit drivers version 7.15.11.7519 (date 16/05/2008)
    It does not support 1680-1050 resoloution for my widescreen.

BUT when I was running Vista Home premium it did !!

That resoloution is not listed when you goto windows display settings.

I have been to the Nvidia control panel and Manually Added this resoloution and it accepts it..

but when I rebooted it went back to 1600 - 1200

Any help appreciated.. Thanks

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

Did you try to uninstall then reinstall your Video Card.

3. xray

xray Private First Class

Sure did..twice if fact.
    Cant understand this.

Is it a 64bit driver thing?
    or just vista?

Thanks for the reply mate. :)

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

This is absolutely no help, but it's killing me and I just have to ask.... why do you have such a low end graphic card in such an otherwise high end PC???? A 22inch LCD, a quad core CPU, 64bit Vista Ultimate, 4gb OCZ 800mhz memory, and an 8400GS?!?!?! It doesn't make any sense :confused

(try a higher refresh rate, then restart the PC and see if it's added the higher resolution)

5. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Keep in mind, that the video card driver isn't the only driver to update. In order for the video card to implement 'custom' resolutions it must talk to a 'custom' display driver. I'll bet, it's talking to the Windows PNP display driver and not talking to the AcerX223W driver.
    Sometimes you have to force Windows to accept the OEM driver manually, since many are not digitally signed and so Windows will ignore it as a valid device driver. :)

6. xray

xray Private First Class

I know your SO right...
    But It was the only thing from my old system and I decided to keep it (just for now)
    Since you mentioned it, what would card you suggest?

Cheers..

7. xray

xray Private First Class

finally got it to work by unchecking (hide modes monitor cannot display) in monitor properties.
    Seems to be fine now, think as dlb said I need a better card.

Thanks prometheos..
    Respect.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds