Router with DSL?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kwyjibo, May 26, 2003.

1. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Private E-2

If I want 2 computers to be connected to the same DSL line, do I need a router, or not, since the line plugs into the regular telephone jack?

Also, if I use a router, can BOTH computers be online AT THE SAME TIME? I know that the speed will drop.

Lastly, if anyone here uses Verizon DSL, can you comment on the service (price, speed, reliability, etc.)? You guys tell me if this is a good deal :

Is 768k for $35/month good enough for playing games/dowloading movies, or is it worth another eight dollars for 1.5 Mb Cable?

Last edited: May 27, 2003
  2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

okay, you cant plug 2 dsl modems into one phone line. wouldnt work. If you use a router, all computers plugged into it can be on the net at the same time! also lets you set up a windows network too if you so wish.

You could, if you didnt want a router, get one computer with a DSL modem and then a hub, and connect all computers together with a hub and use the computer with the dsl modem as a gateway, but thats really not a good idea unless you specificially dont want a router.

if you want more than 1 computer on the net the best way to do it is with a router, with NAT.

3. Wanting1

Wanting1 Private E-2

For sure go for a router but also put some thought into whether you'll be file sharing between the 2 PC's, if you are I'd be looking at a router with a print server. That way you can hook your printer right into the router & both PC's can print to it, saves needing 2 printers.

4. dalic

dalic Private E-2

the 2 printer problem would be solved when using a hub too, or using a direct connection, like a cross cable :)

5. Graelswolf

Graelswolf Private E-2

I think Goldfish is on a good tack. I have a 3Com Broadband router that has a printserver and does a great job of providing DHCP and static connects with very little preconfig. Rather user-friendly interface and the NAT has been rock-solid. If youre running Win os the printserver is easy to set up and is very reliable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds