Help- black screen on desktop with only curser showing.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nuit, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Nuit

Nuit Private E-2

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad with Microsoft Vista Premium, it's a few week old laptop- and the computer froze. Maybe it over heated I'm not sure, but I was doing my homework on it. Anywho, I had to reboot the laptop because there was no other option available to me the thing was completely frozen and well dead. So, after I manually restarted it I get options to use safe mode etc and chose to start up normally. I get to log in screen sign in, then it takes a while on the 'welcome' screen showing it's loading. Then it switches as it would do normally to the desktop only problem: the desktop is black with no options or buttons...nothing. It only had the curser showing, which isn't very useful considering there is nothing to click. I have no clue what to do, can someone help me? I tried rebooting again and trying to go into safe mode or safemode with networking, and the same thing happens over and over with just safe mode written in white at the all the sides of the screen- nothing any different than my original problem. I also let my computer rest for an hour and tried again- so my computer I think I fried it? I don't know.

Help help help

2. stephenp1001

stephenp1001 Private E-2

This is going to be one of those very small silly little problems..... but the reality of it... if you havent got loads on it that you need to get back off it because you didnt make a back up... then make use of the warrenty. Take it back to the shop you generaly have 27 Days shop warrenty and then a return to manafacturer for a year unless you bought a better one.

It does however sound like a graphics problem.

in any mode with cursor on screen can you right click mouse and get display the options list to select properties, then get display properties... go from there to, display settings... select a different resolution (lower)... see if it gives you any change.

Stephen.

3. Nuit

Nuit Private E-2

yea...apparently I need a new hard drive. I'm still in warantee thank god. Might as well just get a working one since it's free. Lol Thanks though ^^

4. stephenp1001

stephenp1001 Private E-2

Always great to hav a warranty.... and as its a good quick fix... even better...

Stephen.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds