Is there a TRUE alternative to IE & NS Navigator?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mennymoons, May 28, 2003.

1. mennymoons

mennymoons Private E-2

I'm a bit concerned with all this Homeland Security stuff & feel it's AT LEAST remotely possible USA gov is utilizing Big Biz (i.e., corps.) to aide them in more easily spying on all the people who pay their salary (could the NEXT MS IE so-called critical download requirement be, in fact, code that opens our PCs to easier access by our gov?). Is there any freeware browser available which does NOT require use of/going through MS Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator, to interface with the Internet? I do use Tiny Personal Firewall I got from here (majorgeeks) & have tested it with Gibson Research Corporation's Shields UP! (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) - I tend to trust them & their efforts, so far. It indicates my PC appears as invisible or non-existent to any scans... Thanks, in advance, for any & all recommendations for a BIG BROTHER-free browser! (NOTE: I'm neither for or against "BIG BROTHER" for I believe as my sig indicates - ALL persons, places & things have a purpose for being "here" to maintain the balance - I just want to remain fully aware of my choices...)

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. Graelswolf

Graelswolf Private E-2

I have to agree ...... Opera.
    Mozilla -based use Netscape.
    Java-driven, too unstable...too many holes.

Just my 2 cents.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Any of them or disable everything. Pctures, java, activex, sounds and everything else that makes the web fun and there ya go. A firewall wont protect you, in most cases, from a lot of that stuff because you let your browser pass the firewall.

Luckily we have a lot of people from Steve to the press watching those watching us. Thats a good thing. All said though, I stand behind what I said. only way to be REALLY sure no one is tracking activity, etc., is to disconnect. Sort of like the real world, your leaving tracks when you use a credit card, buy a home or car or even go through a red light. Some prefer to go live in a hut in the mountains and disappear. Most of us prefer to live and be on guard. Its a fine line... well, a big fat line. We just need to be on our toes.

5. v0lumity

v0lumity Private E-2

Invest in a router and firewall and you'll be fine. Learn networking protocols and you'll feel better as you can see with those two working side-by-side, you control what does and doesn't leave your PC, and theres nothing that'll change that fact, anytime soon.

6. Iceburg

Iceburg Private First Class

v0lumity,

Spokin perfectlly.

-Ice

7. Ryanrk

Ryanrk Private E-2

Actually I gotten to love Mozilla Firebird. It's like Mozilla w/o all the bloatware. It's just a brower and it loads just as quick as IE and it's menubars are very customizable. It stops popup's and everything.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds