Windows update problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 30, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

New clean install of XP Home SP2. All drivers are installed and Windows is activated/validated and is 100% legit with a new factory CD and product key. The problem is basically identical to the problem I had in the following thread:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=169876
    I have tried everything suggested in that thread and nothing has worked. I can download the updates just fine, but they will NOT install. I don't get any error messages; they simply do not install. Windows update just says "The following updates were not installed" and it lists all 99 of 'em. Event viewer is clean. I've tried renaming/deleting the Software Distribution folder; I've tried the Windows Update tool linked to in the thread above; I've tried Dial-A-Fix which produced an error the first 3 or 4 times I tried running it, but now that I want to attach a screen shot of it, it will not error out again (of course). The error basically said something like "The file C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll could not be registered because it has been marked for deletion" or something close to that. It may have said something about that file being corrupt (??? I don't remember exactly ???). I know I have the file name correct. Since this is a fresh install, and there's no data, I may just wipe and reload, but I hate admitting defeat. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

THANKS!!!!

[dlb]
    :major

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi dlb

If the file is possibly corrupt then SFC Sannnow may fix this or as its a new install could just be corrupted and easiest option is especially with no data on the PC a new clean install.

Could though try re-registering the dlls used for WU

Start > Run and do all of these in turn

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuauserv.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 iuengine.dll

or attach the WU log, click Start > Run and paste %systemroot%\windowsupdate.log and save and attach the txt, one of us may notice something it it that holds a clue.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for the quick response Halo....
    Aready tried and it was unsuccessful.
    Dial-A-Fix does this, and I have also done it manually.... no dice.
    I even copied a 'clean' wuaueng.dll from a different PC that is updating fine and put it into the system32 folder.... again, no dice.
    I trying a repair installl right now and we'll see how it goes.

If anyone else has any thoughts (in case the repair install doesn't work) I'd be happy to hear 'em. In case this problem happens again, I want to be prepared. And it will happen again.... this is the 3rd time in 2 months that I've had new clean installs not install updates :confused

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Two things I remember that caused problems for me were:
    1. Zone Alarm log file was preventing the installation and if I turned on Windows Firewall and turned off ZA the install worked. I also have the info somewhere on how to get rid of the logs, and it was a clean install when this happened.
    2. Both ZA and Windows Firewall ended up somehow both active at the same time and If I disabled Winows FW I got the updates. Since I got the updates I had no chance to test it disabling ZA would have done the same but I assume yes.

So bad acting firewall or two firewalls.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I didn't have ZA installed, only AVGfree.

OK- I tried the repair install, same problem. Updates download but don't install.
    So, I formatted the hard drive, reinstalled XP Home from a NEW factory disc, installed the chipset drivers and audio drivers, activated and validated Windows, and went directly to Windows updates, and IT DID THE SAME EXACT THING!!!!

How is this possible?!?!? There is NO software installed besides the drivers. That's it. Just Windows, the drivers, and then I went to Windows Update. The updates download but don't install. Is it possible that some type of hardware problem can prevent updates from installing?
    This is crazy!
    Hardware is as follows:
    AthlonXP 2600+; Foxconn MB 600A01-6LRS w/VIA Chipset; 2 x 512mb DDR333; nVidia Geforce4 MX4000 AGP 128mb; DVDRW and CDROM drives; WD 80gb HD IDE. I can't imagine the hardware making a difference in whether the updates install or not, but maybe.... who knows.... this is nuts :banghead

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I can install the first few updates: the WGA tool, Windows Installer 3.1, and one other one -maybe it's the malicious software tool; there's two updates when a clean install first goes to Windows Update. There's the WGA, and another one that I can't remember, then you click continue after those go in, and then Installer 3.1 goes in, then you reboot and have to go back to Windows Update to do the 99 other updates. After Installer 3.1, I reboot as required, but that's the last update to successfully install....

7. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

gday dlb just out of pure chance but i noticed no mention of updating the windows installer from 3.1 to 4.5 have tried that

8. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

9. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Didn't you download that SP3 full iso like I suggested in the SP3 thread? That would get most of the updates onto the disk before you connect to the net and would not require internet or downloading, that I'm aware of anyhow (I haven't used mine yet).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds