Finding an IP Address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icebreaker, May 31, 2003.

1. icebreaker

icebreaker Private E-2

I have two computers. I play a lot of online multiplayer games etc. From my computer in one room I want to be able to find out the ip address of the computer in the next room, without necessarily having to get up and walk over there. No, I'm not a lazy ass, I just want to posess the knowledge in case I ever need it. I do not have a router, is there a way I could do it through dos?

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Usually an IP address is only assigned when a TCPIP protocol attached to the network adapter is loaded.

But if you by DOS are saying "Command prompt in Windows" then you can just enable Netbios for TCPIP and then ping the netbios-computernetworkname. (The name you can see in network neighborhood).

3. mandrak

mandrak Private E-2

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

the way snakefoot said should work fine, like said as long as netbios is enabled, or it wont be able to resolve the name.

I presume that you get internet access though a server with 2 NIC's?

Of course you could just make the IP's fixed, thus meaning that each time you want to connect to the other machine you already have its IP written down somewhere ;)

5. Graelswolf

Graelswolf Private E-2

Use an app like pcAnywhere or VNC to aid in the connect. WCS you can winipcfg on the remote machine to get the info. That way dont have to have the Netbios involved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds