Conexant AC-Link Audio

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Oct 30, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Clean install on freshly formatted hard drive - XP Home SP2 - Gateway Laptop MX6027

I downloaded and installed all the drivers from here: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?param=ac-link&st=kw
    They all went in OK except for the sound and modem. The modem was a nightmare, but I eventually got the generic from Conexant to install; it works fine. I've been fighting with the sound driver for 3 days now and I'm out of ideas. I know how to install drivers and I've tried every trick in the book with this audio driver and it just will NOT work. On the rare exceptions when it actually installs, I get no audio, but it usually doesn't install correctly and leaves a yellow ? or ! in the device manager. I even tried to "trick" the driver by following the steps in this article that many other folks had success with, not me. It appears that this Conexant AC-Link audio diver is famous for causing massive insanity and frustration when installing.
    H E L P ! ! !

(yes, I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, safe mode, last known good, UAA KB888111, Windows Updates, everything else you can think of)
    :cry

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks Cat. I'll give it a shot. I absolutely despise DriverGuide (they were great, about 3-4 years ago, before all the ads and forced registration), but I have like 17 accounts with them 'cuz the free accounts are only allowed to download maybe 5 or 6 drivers before it's de-activated (or you pay $$$). I just downloaded it and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks a bunch!!! :-D

(PS- it's funny LOL In that link you posted, someone said "it's unlikely that Gateway would post a non-working driver" roflmao Gateway has the worst record for accurate drivers!! They're worse than EMachine (yes, I know they're the same company), but at least EMachine uses hardware whose OEMs have drivers... :*** Gateway!)

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:dood :celebrate :dancer :hyper :highfive :clap :cloud9 :guitar :foolish :grouphug :drink :-D

IT WORKED!!!! Well, it didn't work right away.... I had to uninstall my previous attempts, and then had to follow the steps to "trick" the driver in this article that I mentioned before, but after that, and a reboot, the freekin' piece-of-:crap has sound!!!

Thanks a billion Cat!! I owe you a beer... a six pack.... a keg.... the whole freekin factory!!!! LOL

(BTW- I'm keeping the driver from that link above for future use. This wasn't the first time that I had serious issues with that lame Conexant AC-Link audio driver from Gateway, and it probably won't be the last either. ;) )

5. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

*smiles* glad it worked, if I ever need a driver I know who to send into the trenches, with all those accts. you'll hit pay dirt!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds