Adapter 1: No HDD detected!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Felixmagician, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Felixmagician

Felixmagician Private E-2

I just finished building my first PC, everything is working well, I got Vista installed and loaded all drivers etc. I even updated BIOS.

However, everytime when starting up, BIOS displays the following message:
    Adapter 1 Disk Information
    No hard disk detected!

However, Vista installed just fine and if I go to BIOS setup it correctly displays the SATA drive. Still this message keeps bugging me, what is it and what can I do to get rid of it?

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

In the BIOS, you can turn on and off disk controllers. You are probably using SATA, so look in your bios for a list that looks like:
    SATA1 -> on
    SATA2 -> on
    SATA3 -> on
    SATA4 -> off

If you have your optical drive in SATA1 and your HDD in SATA2, you can turn SATA3 off. That way, when the computer starts, it won't look for a hard drive is SATA3 and tell you it can't find it. Don't worry about turning the wrong one off. If you do, one of your devices will be gone the next time you start up, and you just have to go to the BIOS and turn it back on.
    PS: It says adaptor 1, that probably means that SATA1 is turned on and not hooked up to anything.

3. camko

camko Private E-2

Man i'm having the same damn problem. Can somebody help me out.

Adapter 1:
    Disk Information
    No hard disk detected!

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong but when i go into the bios it detects the disk fine and i'm running raid. Vista boots up fine runs great. This message shows up when i boot my computer its just annoying. How can i get rid of this message. My hard drives are plugged into sata 1,2 dvd sata 3. Bios doesn't have feature to disable sata ports.

I have a intel DX58s0 mobo with i7 proc. 4 gigs of memory.Please help me out i'm going crazy did a lot of research and a lot of people are saying different things. I'm running raid0 stripped.

4. Felixmagician

I found a setup in BIOS for IDE controller. It's not in the same page where all the drives were listed.
    I turned it off, problem disappeared.

Basically the motherboard's IDE controller is looking for devices if it's on and shows the error when it doesn't find any. Turn it off in BIOS and it stops looking for them, this might actually even speed up your system.

5. camko

camko Private E-2

Well the funny thing is my mobo doesn't not have any ide controller. It doesn't have a floppy controller either they decided to eliminate the ide controller.........only sata controller. But i'll go into the bios and see again.................thanks felix..........i'll keep searching for answers.

6. Felixmagician

7. camko

camko Private E-2

I'm not sure why its trippin, i'm trying to follow your instructions but this is what i get:

Ok, I boot into the bios and go to Advanced->Drive Configuration menu-> then my ATA/IDE mode is on <native> for some reason i can't change that settings it won't let me. So what i did was load default setting and now it gives me options when i'm at that menu. It only give me two options Legacy and Native. There is no options to disable it! I'm so frustrated at this. Here is what i have Currently in that Menu

ATA/IDE MODE <Native>
    Configure Sata as S.M.A.R.T <enabled>
    Detected Sata Device <my current raid harddrive>
    Detected Sata Device <Dvd Burner>
    Hard Disk Pre Delay [0]

I'm not sure what else i can do. Tomorrow i will try to get some help from intel if there is anybody availible to help me out. FELIX Thanks a lot man for helping me. Really Appreciate it you helping me out. Damn, i'm still puzzled on why it won't let me disable that damn thing. If i try Legacy it just says all my sata ports are all empty. I put it on Native my raid0 drive shows up. Well hope anybody having the same problem can help me out.

8. camko

camko Private E-2

I finally solved the problem!!! I went to the intel website and did a live chat with one of the reps and he told me that it was no problem. It was normal because i have an external Esata port and what i have to do is go into the bios and disable the Esata under peripheral configuration. Felix I finally got it and thanks to you. You were very close in solving it. Esata needed to be disabled. Ok thanks for you help once again man............:cool:-D

9. drewcamps

drewcamps Private E-2

This problem was making me crazy, the fix of turning off the Esata ports worked great and the problem is solved - THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds