Kia Soul - Yes/No?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kfarmbry, Dec 6, 2008.

1. kfarmbry

kfarmbry Private E-2

Kia's is launching a new car called the Soul in Spring. Some of its features include Bluetooth and iPod, so it's nice to see technology like this available on more affordable cars. But what do you think, could you see yourself driving one?

[​IMG]

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Ahh, well no. If you like it, go for it, not for me. :-D

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

im more of a midsized sedan person, im 6'2" and have 2 kids, they need some legroom in the back

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Owned a Kia SUV before - wouldn't have another.

Anyway, this is priced where a new Honda Civic falls right in the middle of the range. They are even more economical than the Soul, getting 40mph on the freeway. Easier to maintain - even doing a plug change on a Kia is a 2 hour job that involves removal of the rocker cover!!

The styling is confusing. Did they want it to be curvey and spacey, or angular and contemporary. It looks like 2 different designers had at it. Not aesthetically pleasing. They couldn't make their minds up whether to black trim or body color mouldings. Some are one; some are the other. The automatic would be a POS only 4 gears on a heavier SUV - no power, especially the 1.6 engine.

If the geeky add-ons are what make it for you, I would buy a civic and just upgrade the geeky buttons that miht not come as standard.

5. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

My mom has a Kia sorento or whatever. Theyre not that bad if its what youre in to. id personally never buy a kia though.

6. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I hate Kia one of the worst things out of Korea.

7. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

It's not a bad looking vehicle and it looks like a Toyota Scion, just a little more rounded. However, I prefer something with more 'guts' and interior room than what the Soul has to offer. As far as safety is concerned, the Soul just looks 'flimsy' and I doubt it would fair very well in a 10 mph side impact test, or a front impact test, or even a rear impact test without considerable damage. So I'm going to have to say 'no' to the Soul, and just stick to the 'Tank' that I'm driving now. At least in the 'Tank', I have some measure of security and safety, which means more than 'flashy' looks when I carry my 8 year old around!

8. kfarmbry

kfarmbry Private E-2

I've owned some compact cars before...they're actually pretty solid in crashes. They're built like acorns, if that makes sense lol. Small, but with a hard structure so they don't get crumpled up in an accident. I don't know how the Soul was engineered, it looks like a great city car. The new Smart cars also look like they wouldn't stand up in an accident, but they've been proven to be structurally solid.

9. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

No doubt, the Smart Car has been proven to be built really well. My problem with it is its size and how the driver would fair in a high speed crash. Did you ever wonder what a Smart Car would look like after a 70 MPH crash test? Check out this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

10. kfarmbry

kfarmbry Private E-2

11. Dalma

Dalma Private E-2

I think the Kia Soul looks great but I think the largest obstacle for them to overcome is the name Kia, however.

12. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

Id rather walk than drive that pos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds