ICF in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Misslemike, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Misslemike

Misslemike Private E-2

Hi Geeks, When I have Internet Connection Firewall enabled on my XP pro machine no one in my internal workgroup can bowse or access files but I know I can open ports like 135-139 to expose these services. But is there a way to just open them for the internal workgroup and not to the internet. I am using Netgear router/gateway with 4 comps hooked up for Internet access. I would like to browse the workgroup but have the ICF protecting for internet attacks--any way to do this? Thanks

2. ChViRuS

ChViRuS Private E-2

not that i'm aware of. The MS firewall is basic at best. Your best bet is to download a free firewall (sygate?? i don't know if they offer a free one. Look on majorgeeks for one - bound to have one). Disable the MS firewall, and use your downloaded one instead. Will probably be safer - and will be miles more configurable

3. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Why not block port 135-139 on your router and enable them on the ICF

4. Misslemike

Misslemike Private E-2

Thanks, obviously I can block those ports on the router and I needed another kick in the brain for a reminder--thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds