PC Not Getting IP Address from Linksys Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragfameson, Dec 12, 2008.

1. dragfameson

dragfameson Private E-2

Hello,

I just got new internet service yesterday (Comcast) and I'm having issues between my Windows XP Professional PC and my Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS v5 with DD-WRT Firmware).

Additional Information: When I originally got it all setup yesterday for the first time it was having a little trouble connecting (I was able to access the router, but not the internet) and what I had to do was power cycle the modem and then everything was fine. I was able to get into the router and access the internet perfectly. Well, after that I had to rearrange everything on the shelf because it was a complete mess from when I was removing all the old equipment (from the other ISP) and replacing everything with the new stuff. So at one point I had to unplug both the modem and the router while I was rearranging to make everything neat again! Once everything was plugged back in (exactly as it was before… just neatly now) is when it stopped working again.

So as of right now I cannot access either the router or the internet. The connection icon in the lower right hand corner (next to the clock) says I’m connected to the wireless router when I turn the computer on (and I know it is because it gives the name of the network that I named it in the router), but when I try to access the internet using IE in the lower left hand corner it says, “Looking up www.google.com” for a couple seconds and then shortly after goes to a page cannot be displayed.

Technical Information:

If I try to run ‘ping www.yahoo.com’ in command prompt I get some error message that says it cant resolve the address or something like that. It doesn’t even get as far as trying to ping it and timing out. It just goes straight to that error I’ve never seen before.

If I type ‘ipconfig’ in CMD it is giving my computer some randomly generated IP Address! It says, “Autoconfiguration IP Address” where it would normally say only “IP Address” and it’s some weird IP address… nothing like the router IP or external internet IP. “Connection-specific DNS Suffix” is blank and so is, “Default Gateway”. Subnet Mask says, “255.255.0.0”

When I saw these odd results from ‘ipconfig’ I went into my Wireless NIC settings (the TCP/IP properties) and instead of using “Obtain an IP address automatically” I chose, “Use the following IP address:” and this is what I entered:

IP Address: 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

It automatically switched the DNS settings to “Use the following DNS server address:” but I had no idea what to put there, so I left it empty.

I went back to ‘ipconfig’ and it looked somewhat normal again. The “Autoconfiguration IP Address” was gone this time and it said, “IP Address: 192.168.1.101” like it normally did, and the subnet mask and default gateway were also correct. “Connection-specific DNS Suffix” was still blank.

Because the IP Address, Default Gateway and Subnet Mask all looked correct I figured I should now be able to get into the router. Went to IE and typed http://192.168.1.1 like I normally do and NOTHING. Tried to pull up a website and again, NOTHING. So I set all the settings in TCP/IP properties back to automatic and gave up.

Side note: Other computers on the network are working fine.

Please help!!

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Double check your cables and connections. Try a different port on the router or switch cables or try new cables.

Is your DNSClient service running? Check services under Admin Tools.
    Try an ipconfig /flushdns from the command line.

If you get this - 169.254.xxx.xxx - that is a Windows service (APIPA) that automatically assigns an IP address when the client is not connecting to a DHCP service or router.
    The Connection-specific DNS Suffix is supposed to be the network adapter listing. Check Device Manager for any problems on your wireless adapter. Can possibly need a driver update or you could try an uninstall and reboot but in that case you would need to redo your connection from scratch.

You can get this information from the other comps on the network, just check their properties for the IP addresses. Check out some of these things I've listed and see what you come up with.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds