usb slots not working on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oz167, Dec 23, 2008.

1. oz167

oz167 Private E-2

last night they were working just fine.. i have an passport external HDD.. webcam and and mouse to my laptop.. which is an hpdv2000 running xp sp3

the usb slot my mouse stopped working went out first.. later in the morning... my other 2 usb slots were down too.. (webcam and hdd) it said something about malfunction.. but even when my mouse is plugged into the usp slot.. the mouse is on.. i move it.. the mouse lights up.. but it won't pick up on the laptop.

i went to device manager to see what was going on.. says everything is working properly.. but none of the items i have plugged in are on the list..

can anyone help?

thx - gary

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    Be sure the PC is completely powered down. Make sure all your USB devices are unplugged. Boot up, go in to the Device Manager, click the little plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right click and un-install each item listed. When you're done, reboot the PC. Let Windows re-install each item. Reboot again. Then try one USB device; a mouse is perfect. Plug it in, wait for about 1-2 minutes, then see if it's working. If not, power down and unplug the mouse after the PC has completely shut off. Reboot again and download the chipset drivers for your laptop. There's over 150 different dv2000 models at HP, so you'll need the exact model number from the little white sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Do NOT install the chipset drivers yet. First, uninstall everything listed in the USB section of the Device Manager again. Then restart the PC (again). Once the desktop is up again, install the chipset drivers and reboot when it's done. Then try the mouse again. If none of this works, perhaps a safe reload of Windows will work, but it may be a hardware problem.
    Good luck!!!
    Happy Holidaze! :drink

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds