Internal harddisk probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattekus, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mattekus

mattekus Private E-2

Hi, one of my partitions have been going haywire since a power shortage....it cant just be accessed...it says action cannot be performed and there is an error performing an inpage opertaion when i try opening the partition....its in an NTFS format....
    funny thing is i've Ubuntu in another HDD when i run that OS i can access the same partition.....:confused
    anyone can help ?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    It could be that the way Ubuntu addresses and reads NTFS partitions is different than how Windows does it, and there is some damage to the file system but because Ubuntu reads the file system differently, it can still access the data. So, try running a full repair chkdsk. You can do this by booting to your XP install disc and entering the Recovery Console by pressing "R" at the first blue setup screen where it asks you to press "R" or "enter" depending on what you're trying to do. Once in the Recovery Console (it looks like a DOS window), type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter. It can take some time so be patient. You may think the PC has locked up, and you might see the percentage counter go backward. Don't worry, this is all normal and chkdsk will eventually finish. I've seen it take over 10 hours before so BE PATIENT! DO NOT restart the PC or turn it off in the middle of a chkdsk! Start it before bed and it should be done by the time you wake up. When it's done, type exit and press Enter to restart the PC, remove the XP CD and hopefully it will be OK. If the drive with the problem isn't drive C:, just use the appropriate drive letter in the chkdsk command (for example: chkdsk f: /r). If the drive isn't C:, you should be able to run chkdsk from the command prompt; click Start > Run and type cmd and press Enter. Then type the chkdsk command.
    Good luck! And Happy Holidays!!

(be sure to use a space before and after the c: or the f: or whatever in the commands above)

3. mattekus

mattekus Private E-2

well i tried doing that a several times....ran cmd and the chdsk utility via that, but after each time i run it the problem still persists....when i booted using the XP setup disk, the chdksk didn even run, it said something like there are errors were encountered that couldnt be fixed....

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

In a situation like this, I'd recommend that you use the Ubuntu OS to back up anything from the flakey hard drive you want to save, then perform a low level format (also called "zeroing" the drive 'cuz you write zeroes across the entire drive) and reload Windows on the clean drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds