Windows Wireless Service can not start

Discussion in 'Software' started by JakeD, Dec 26, 2008.

1. JakeD

JakeD Corporal

Hey guys,
    HP Vista SP1 Laptop has been running great. Hardly any problems. Until tonight....

I ran a scan by Malawarebytes, a quick scan, and it found a problem. But the computer need to reboot in order to fix the problem. Booted up fine, problem fixed....new problem: My laptop is not recognizing my wireless internet. When I hit diagnose problem, the problem seems to be "Windows Wireless Service not started". But when i try to resolve it, the problem can not be resolved!

1. I have made sure my wireless router is good to go, my brothers' wireless laptop is working fine.
    2. Under services, I made sure that WLAN was automatically started.
    3. I have done a little research on my desktop, and i guess editing the registry is the best way to go.....? I'm not sure what to do, freaking out a little bit! lol

I'm not doing anything until I hear from you guys. Thx in Advance. You guys are the best! ;) -JakeD

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi JakeD

Could you do a System Restore back to just before you did this malwarebytes scan, or was there a reason you needed to run malwarebytes in you being infected? if infected what was it as some malware do turn off wireless.

If infected then possability is you still have more malware on your PC and running the Malware Forums Read Me and starting new thread in malware forum for the experts their to advise is best route, as clearing up any malware found may help this.

Could also be NDIS usermode I/O protocol corrupted as some malware can, fix to try after a registry backup is.

drill down to this key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndisuio and if the Start entry has a value of 4 then change it to 3

do same in this location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Ndisuio

Reboot and turn off/disable Wireless in network connections for a few mins and then turn back on.

3. JakeD

JakeD Corporal

It seems as though I might be hit with a malaware issue. Originally i was running Malwarebytes just for a simple check up as i usually do. Wasn't experiencing any problems before.
    But it seems i have a bigger problem, I can't get to system restore, or even to my control panel. It sounds like a have some malaware, but my laptop was running fine before i rebooted my computer! Usually I go to system restore by under start, accessorizes, system tools, and its there, but its not. And for some reason my control panel is locked up! Is there some way it is turned off? As I speak i am going through the Malaware forums.

I appreciate the help Halo. Let me know if you need more info! thx- JakeD

4. JakeD

JakeD Corporal

Alright, I got to system restore, but there is an error message stating:
    "System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system. The Volume Shadow Copy Service used by System Restore is not working, For more information view the event log (0x81000202)" Anyway i could fix this to restore my laptop?

Running all scans right now, Spybot found nothing, AVG nothing, i'm running superantispyware right now.

5. JakeD

JakeD Corporal

Trying to help myself out as best as I can, is it possible that it belongs to a bad registry? I was researching and under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\, they talked about deleting the key VSSAccessControl, would cure the problem. Not doing anything til i hear back lol! Thx

6. DavidGP

Hi JakeD

I would not delete or change the VSS key yet, would more now noticing your System Restore is non functioning is to run the Read Me in the malware forum and start a new thread there and attach logs. Need to be patient as malware seems to be on an upswing and that area of the forum is busy and with holidays upon us even busier but the malware folk will get to you asap.

Check the Volume Shaddow Copy Service in Services is set to Automatic and Started.

NDIS is more likely the regsitry area that would block Wireless that I know of, but if you have checked the keys for values and are ok, then malware is likely cause, especially as now System Restore is not working,

7. JakeD

JakeD Corporal

Volume Shaddow Copy Service is set to automatic, but it won't start: "Windows could not start the Volume Shadow Copy Service on the Local Computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

Thx for your help, I send this over to malware forum. I really hope i don't have to re-instal Vista! My question is: My computer was running fine until I ran malwarebytes and it had to restart. I've got the log and I'll display it on the malware forum. thx again JakeD

8. DavidGP

To answer your question JakeD, its likely if MWB found an issue and was malware, fixing this one issue could have while removing some malware components, could have broken the other components as many malware link to internet connections as well as disabling System Restore.

See what the malware experts find first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds