New comp and Geforce 8600 card refuses to work :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeeTee, Dec 26, 2008.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee Private E-2

Hi there, recently bought a new computer:
    AMD Athlon 64X2 5200 + (65W) Dual-Core Socket AM2, 2.6GHZ, 512 KBx2
    Foxconn motherboard (A6VMX Series)
    Integrated Graphics (ATI X1200)

My problem is that after getting up and running I went to upgrade my video card. I bought a Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT card. After trying myself just physically installing the card and seeing if it would run I got nothing but a black screen. I googled the issue and saw a couple post on these forums regarding the issue, hense why I'm here.

Now after seeing other people having the same issue I read up and tried all the posted solutions. In order I tried:
    >Disabling the internal card through Device Manager
    >Opening BIOS and ensuring it would read PCI, PCI-E first
    >Loaded the display drivers that would load without the hardware needed
    (all the while trying the monitor plugged into the video card and back to the orignal port)
    >After none of these worked I tried unistalling the integrated card
    >Double checked BIOS for anything related to Graphics and enable auto detection of new cards.

STILL nothing has worked and the only way I can use the computer is by completely removing the card and plugging the monitor into original port (then I'm spammed by ATI wanting to reinstall :/ ). Any help would be very appreciated, because I've been at this for literally hours and hours. At this point I'm starting to think it might be the card, but I'm not sure if I missed something.

Thanks in advance, DT.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds