I'm a bit new to this,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlangholzj, Dec 26, 2008.

1. jlangholzj

jlangholzj Private E-2

Hey guys! I've been on here a few times as a guest for solving computer problems, and I've got a bit of a project to work on, and i thought I'd join!

here's the deal:

eventually, I want to keep a desktop hooked up to my TV and leave all my music and pictures on it, and also use it as a DVD player.

I inherited our old desktop, and just to give you an idea HOW old it is, it uses the Slot 1 processor.. :-D

anyway, since the MB is kind of useless; I was thinking, I've got the memory, video card , power supply and the case. What I was thinking is to get a new MB, a new HD, plop it into the case i have, and then as time and $$ permits, slowly build onto it. (add a bigger power supply, graphics, etc) I'm going to school for a BS in EE, so i thought this would be a fun project. the reason why i was thinking this is because with the new MB, i can add on new components, and still be able to use it.

what do you guys think?

also, what MB would you recommend? I've looked at a few on New egg, but my domain is Cars, not computers :confused and I'm looking for a little guidance.

thanks guys!

-John

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds