hook up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yappiy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. yappiy

yappiy Private E-2

have a problem; need to find out how to hook -up my computer; to a stero system. the system is old it has plugs in the back.is there a way to get my computer to run thought it so i can play my music thought the system. my next problem is how can i speed up my external hard drive it is about four yrs old,when i hook my external up to my computer.which is 4yrs old also it takes a very long time to pull my music to my computer;so i can burn cd's. what can i do to fix this problem

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

in reference to your second request a bit more information about your computer, your op system. One thing that always helps is ram. How much ram are you using? have you cleaned your computer lately? this may also give you a small boost.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Run a cable from the green speaker jack on the PC to the stereo's AUX line in jack; typically the stereo will have RCA-type jacks: one for L-AUX line in, one for R-AUX line in. You can buy a cable with a 1/8" jack on one end (plug in to PC) and 2 RCA jacks on the other end (plugs in to stereo). Click here for an example. Then when you change the input selector on the amp/stereo/receiver to AUX, you'll hear the PC output.

(NOTE: the exact type of cable needed may vary depending on what type of inputs the receiver or stereo has; the PC end of the cable will ALWAYS be the 1/8" jack; be sure to get a 1/8" stereo jack and not a mono jack; stereo jacks will have 2 black dividers; mono jacks have only one black divider)

More detailed info and more high tech ways of doing this can be found in this article

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You can also use the info in this article. If the PC and stereo aren't near each other, you can connect them wirelessly. Read this review for info on a Linksys wireless component for streaming your PC audio through your stereo.

(I tried to add this to my post above, but I waited too long :-o )

5. yappiy

yappiy Private E-2

i'am yappie i sent a thread about how to speed up my extenal hard drive. my hard dive is about 4yrs old;it is a western digital. it take a long time for my music to reach my computer.my computer is 4yrs old my os is windows xp. i cleaned up my computer and external;how do i clean up my ram. this is a big problem. it make my music and beat making very hard. please help!

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What did you do to clean it?

Not sure what you are asking here. RAM is cleared (cleaned) everytime the computer is turned off. Or do you mean how should yu clean the physical RAM sticks?

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

My guess is that the computer is using USB 1.1.

Yappiy, how long does it take to copy 50mb of music from external to internal HD?

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If we had some other general specs on your PC, we could offer some more accurate advice... how much RAM do you have and what type? CPU? hard drive sizes and speeds? Answering these basic questions will help us offer suggestions as to how you can speed up (or upgrade) your current system....
    :-D

(NOTE: you should read this guide for system maintenance, and this guide for malware removal; there's a chance that the PC is slow because of malware; if you follow steps and find no malware, then nothing is lost except maybe an hour or two of your time; if malware is found, then half the problem has been solved)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds