Bios Upgrade - aka newbie

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheepondrugs, Dec 27, 2008.

1. sheepondrugs

sheepondrugs Private First Class

Hi guys and girls :wave

Im wanting to upgrade my motherboard to the latest version, but not even a clue how to do this..

Here's the information I can give you straight off:

Motherboard:
    BFG NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI

Current Bios Version:
    08/02/2007

Official Support Page (with bios updates) :
    http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgrinf680is.aspx

Im not sure what bios version I need, do I just install the latest version? or do I have to install all the previous bios updates first?

Thanks!

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Is there a reason as to why you need to 'flash the BIOS?' Is your machine currently running good? Is the new BIOS going to add something you need? If not, then the old addage to live by when it comes to BIOSs is, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!';) Still, if you really want too, yes use the latest version of the BIOS because it will contain all the previous versions. Just make sure you get the RIGHT ONE, because if you try to flash your BIOS using the wrong one, well you'll undoubtly be in for some major headaches.
    I went to the link you provided, but I couldn't find an updated BIOS for your board, unless I looked in the wrong place!! Where did you find the updated BIOS?

3. sheepondrugs

once you clicked that BFG link, click Support.. and the list of updates will be there..

there are alot of updates to the board..

including..
    - go stepping updates
    - improves general system and memory overclockability, S3 resume functionality and USB flash device compatibility.
    -Improves support for PCI cards using
    wireless technology and other minor fixes.
    -Resolves issues with CPU temp, voltage and multiplier settings in BIOS, improves USB floppy support, and is WHQL for Microsoft Windows Vista

4. sheepondrugs

** PROBLEM SOLVED **

solved by:

1. downloading latest driver
    2. burning the flash file to CD (even tho the official website doesnt say you can)
    3. rebooting
    4. ALT + F2 to run flash files from cd
    5. auto re-flash takes place
    6. reboot
    7. DEL to set bios to "LOAD DEFAULTS"
    8. save
    9. reboot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds