Laptop rattling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Treval, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Treval

Treval Private E-2

Hello

A while after I bought my MSI VR610 laptop, it started rattling and making really loud, painful noises (it sounds like it's coming from the fans that are tilted a bit). I took this laptop to the computer store where I bought it, the tech guy kept it in his basement for three weeks and didn't even touch it, saying he 'fixed' it, which makes me a very unsatisfied customer.

I have asked him if using compressed air would help fix my problem and he said "no, that would cause too much static electricity and ruin your laptop". So he suggested replacing the fans. However, he didn't do anything to my laptop.

What I'm asking is,

1) Would it damage my laptop by blowing compressed air into it?
    2) How do I know if it's the fans' problem?
    3) What can I do to fix this problem ASAP?

Many thanks in advance.

Treval

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah- do not get the fans spinning fast for extended amount os time as they act like little generators and can actually create electricity and pump backward through the system causing all sorts of issues (potentially). Use aimed, focused short blasts of 3sec or less and allow the fan to completely stop spinning between each blast. If you're patient and REAL good at paying attention, you can remove the screws from the laptop back panel and open it up CAREFULLY. Look at each fan and it's surrounding 'compartment'. It's possible something fell in to the laptop and that's what is causing the rattling. If the laptop is powered off, and you gently flip it over in your hands a few times and/or gently shake it, can you hear this rattling? Or do you only hear it with the PC powered on? A fan could be out of balance too....

4. Treval

Treval Private E-2

I only hear it rattling when the laptop is powered on. When it's off I can move and tilt it how I like, it doesn't make any sound.

I'm not a very handy person but also, if I unscrew the laptop.. that means warranty void. So should I call MSI (if there is one in my neighbourhood), have a computer store fix it (if they fix laptops that weren't bought at their store), or?

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Contact MSI and see what your warranty options are. Be certain to inform them about this:

"I took this laptop to the computer store where I bought it, the tech guy kept it in his basement for three weeks and didn't even touch it, saying he 'fixed' it, which makes me a very unsatisfied customer." :crap

If the fan is easy to replace, they may just send you a new fan, or they may want you to send them the computer. No point in voiding your warranty on a laptop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds