Diagnosis Assistance Please!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by insan_art, Dec 27, 2008.

1. insan_art

insan_art Private First Class

Hello Major Geeks!

Well, this is my first time in the Hardware Forum! I started a thread previously about my problem on the Malware forum - I'm fairly sure now that this is a hardware problem (my malware thread)...

Anyways, I tried booting from the Windows XP disc and at first, I was able to bring up the "Windows Setup" screen and the cd-rom drive appeared to be running. After a few minutes, I realized that the cd-rom drive was obviously NOT doing anything anymore (no lights on or anything) but I could hear this constant spinning, starting up and then stopping (I thought this was the cd-rom drive)...

Did a reboot and now when the machine tries to boot off of the cd drive it returns a drive failure message. So, guessing the cd-rom drive is dead now.

My question is, can you point me in the right direction for a diagnosis? (I was half expecting a nice long RUN & READ type checklist here that would help me, surprised that there isn't one! :) )

I was debating whether I should start this thread before I go open the system up - I figured I'd get my question in the queue!

Right now, I'm about to go to my in-laws and open the puter up so I can at least figure out what is running and what isn't. Also, I have one of those all-in-one hard drive reader thingees and a brand new dvd-rom - 1 option I was hoping on is to connect the dvd drive to see if I can boot from the windows disc on that, but 2nd option is also just to rescue their files from the hard drive (lots of grandchildren photos!) because at this point I think that the prognosis for the system is grim. It is fairly old and I suggest that they replace it, but it would be nice if it could "run" for a while longer for their email, until they can get a new system.

Thanks in advance! I'll be back later with (hopefully) more details!

2. insan_art

insan_art Private First Class

Hmmmm, was just browsing through the Malware forum again and found this thread....

Not sure if it's related. sounds like the exact same problem (except I never got as far as scans!)...

Crap, hope it really isn't malware!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds