PLEASE HELP! extrnl HD broken? seek error, failed SMART

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AxleXavier, Dec 27, 2008.

1. AxleXavier

AxleXavier Private E-2

Hi,
    i have a WD elements external HD and i recently dropped it and now it doesnt turn off when not in use and it sounds like the HD is skipping at certain points when i tried to access things.

so i got the diagnostic program from WD and when i try a running a quick or full test it cant finish the test because of "too many bad sectors"

sometimes i can use files or maybe even copy a few over but it doesnt take long for the drive to fail and then i gotta unplug and replug the power source for it to work for a lil while again

personally i dont think its recoverable but i wanted some expert advice before i call it quits on this thing.
    also, i read this thread where the guy beat his HD back into working. anyone think i shud try this?

Thanks so much for your patience

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

While the strangest things do work at times, its likely your drive is dead and if its got knocking and metallic type noises in use then hardware is broken, likely platter or bearing.

Also heard freezing a HD can get then to work enough to get data off them, but are these just last ditch efforts to get a drive working!

If you have your data off it, then upto you if you try that advice, would be last resort for me, but likely with what you have said I would not trust that HD to not fail further down the line fully.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds