Dell Inspiron 1720's monitor blacks out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gijon0131, Dec 27, 2008.

1. gijon0131

gijon0131 Private E-2

There are similar threads to this but the problems seemed different. In other threads people complained of monitor flickering or momentarily blacks out. My screen blacks out but not momentarily, it's random...It'll go black for about a milisecond then come back then black out for 30 seconds to a minute to two minutes... Once again this is random. I can leave it on the desktop with no programs running and it will do it. It's been like this since I got the computer. I've sent the computer off to Dell 5 times and they replace the same thing, LCD Wire and LCD bezel. Now my warranty has run out so I have to fix it myself. I've upgraded all drivers.

My video card is a GeForce 8600M GT with the latest drivers. I have no choice but to keep the refresh rate at 59hz (unless there is a third party program that I don't know about). I can bring the monitor from the blackness if I press down hard on the area next to the mouse pad but it's still a pain. I have changed the resolution. The screen does this in safe mode as well.

If you look below, you can see a video of my problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtiNo88Pebg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Kinda seems to be their is a short or loose cable in the laptop and if in the past Dell have fixed this with the items you mentioned, then this seems to be a recurrent issue with that model or your Dell, I would chat to them as if you have sent this back a few times for same issue, they have not resolved it yet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds