Temperature Sensor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I_Need_Help_06, Dec 27, 2008.

1. I_Need_Help_06

I_Need_Help_06 Private E-2

Hello,

I was just wondering does a Pentium 4 CPU come with a Temperature sensor installed in the CPU so I can monitor it's Temperature? Or is that something I have to buy separate?

I already have the CPU, just waiting for my arctic silver to arrive. I would have gotten it locally but the local store wanted an arm and leg for even the smallest tube of arctic Silver.

New CPU: Pentium 4 3.06ghz/ Northwood/ 533Mhz/ Socket 478

Computer:

Dimension 2400
    Old CPU: Celeron 2.6ghz/ Northwood/ 400Mhz/ Socket 478
    2GB Ram
    I have no motherboard name. All Everest and a slew of other programs say is DIM2400.

(My motherboard does go up to 533Mhz. Some models only went up to 400Mhz, I got just really lucky as I didn't order the 533Mhz version, they just ran out of 400Mhz boards.)

Does this motherboard in the computer not have temp. sensors?

Here is a screen shot of a program called "Hmonitor"

[​IMG]

This is all I see, it only show's my HDD's Temp. I also have a Video card, but it's a budget card(BFG Fx5500) it don't have a temp. sensor in it. That's why I was thinking, the OLD CPU was also a budget CPU, could this be the same way as the GPU, just to much cost for a budget version to have a temp. sensor? or is it my motherboard. If it's the motherboard how will I tell if the CPU is getting too hot?

Also: Please No one say "Buy a new PC", I would if I could I just don't the money. The CPU was Ebay'd I got it for $27. The new CPU Cooler I got from a really good site www.cwc-group.com Really good service, I received my brand new CPU cooler in less then two days from over 1000's of miles away.

Here is the Cooler I got: http://store.cwc-group.com/comae3cpucof.html look at the price, for a CoolMaster! I also got the fan as well.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Your motherboard may not support temperature sensors that other motherboards support, but try SpeedFan.

3. I_Need_Help_06

Thanks, Guess I should have said I used speed fan as well. Thanks for the quick answer though!

OK, now if my MOBO don't support temperature sensors, what can i do?

I want to make sure the Computer is cool, I don't want over heating of any kind. I need to make sure I don't need more fans/ mod the case.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You can check to see if you have temp sensors in the BIOS under PC Health or some such option. If it can see temps in the BIOS, you have sensors, and just need a compatable software solution.

What does Everest say for CPU temps?

5. I_Need_Help_06

I have no such setting under my BIOS. It's a Dell PC, Dell Motherboard, it's completely locked down. I have NO access to any temperature sensing devices in the BIOS.

Everest only shows the HDD as well. Speed Fan Showed the GPU, but the card has no temperature sensors, meaning it shows a constant ZERO. The only thing I care about is the CPU, as I've never had a P4 before, and they are supposed to be way hotter then my little Celeron will ever get.

Do I need a Laser Thermometer? Or is there anything I can put in the case that CAN monitor heat besides a new MOBO? As all the board I have find on newegg or tiger all use DDR2 memory.

Oh, while on the subject.

Also, Does anybody know of any Socket 478 MOBO's with at least (1) one PCI-E slot and still uses DDR(PC3200)Memory? I just bought 2GB for this one (last month) and not ready to just discard them, so soon anyway.

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, if you put a good heatsink and fan on the CPU you should be good to go. Just use good thermal goop.

If I don't have temp monitors, I use my fingers. If I can't hold onto a heatsink for 12 seconds or more, it is too hot. YMMV

7. I_Need_Help_06

Thank you, I was hoping to do it all digital. I also like low-tech, a lot less money involved. :)

Oh well, I'm only using this computer for another year or so, after that I will have to upgrade it. I was hoping to still use my trusty 478's but it's old, dead tech that no one makes anything for anymore. Next time I will build one myself, I mean I really love my dell though, it just has no upgrade options.

But it's not all bad, I got a 17" monitor, Keyboard, mouse, speakers and the tower filled with some really good stuff. All for $299, so I cant complain to much. The computer before the sale was over $500, so I got it for a steal. You gotta love those 3 day Christmas sales. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds