Need commets on build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pclover, Dec 27, 2008.

1. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks like a nice setup there! I think you are ok as you speced it, but I would go with a 600Watt PSU just for some headroom. OCZ makes one for just a few $ more than the 500watt one you listed.

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Thought about that but i am on a tight budget.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Looks good to me too pclover. As to the power supply, I have an Antec Earthwatts 500W and my rig is working beautifully with both the CPU and GPU OC'd. I will get a better PSU in a year or so but I have no worries for now. Now, if it was a crap PSU.....;)

EDIT: LOL at eVGA crap list Fred_G.:-D

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I vote with my dollars Augie! I get bad customer support, I shop, buy elsewhere. And I spread the love in a kind, non-judgemental way if they choose to buy the inferior (in my opinion :-D) products that is their choice. I offer alternatives. :tas

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Spend your $ as you wish.:-D

9. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

10. Akumos

Akumos Private E-2

Looks like a nice system, I bet your getting excited!

11. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

No i am not :-D

12. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

13. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

looks good to me :) my other box runs a q6600 and runs like a champ :)

14. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

What size case fans does it need for font and back i wonder.

15. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

16. OLIVER_TECHMASTER

OLIVER_TECHMASTER Private E-2

I have made 8 systems with the Q6600 it is nice, this sounds like a good system hope it works out.;)

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You might want to look around and get the mobo and case seperatly. I would recommend the Antec 300 case, which comes with 2 fans and has room for at least 2 more 120mm fans. You should be able to find an Asus mobo for less than the combo deal. Especially if you have to buy more fans later on.

I see you are getting the Q6600! Excellent CPU. But in my experience, the heatsink sucks. I hate them. The mounting system sucks, and they don't cool well. Just my opinion, your MMV, but I would get an aftermarket cooler that bolts on instead of thosed cursed stock plastic tab things spawned from satan! :tas

18. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

$129 for the Antec 300 and your chosen mobo from the place I don't link to.:-D

20. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I like the NZXT case. I like the looks of it.

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Hey, it is your box! I just make suggestions. You have to live with it! :-D

22. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Yeah true i cant live much longer with my hp case.

23. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I cant wait lol just submitted the order.

24. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

Lol so you ordered those parts mentioned in 1st post?

have fun:cool

25. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I ordered

EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

NZXT Guardian 921 CS-NT-GD921-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04

and the hard drive and sound card i already have. I get free COD5 with the video card lol.

UPS decided to take 2 days off so i have to wait till the 6th to get all my parts. :crybaby

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  26. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

pretty nice but you sure a 500w PSU is enough>?:confused

27. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Have fun with it! One of my computers is very similar, mine has a XFX 9800GT, same CPU, 600W OCZ PSU... Nice 'puter. While I would have gone with a little larger PSU, my 9800GT says it will run on a 500W PSU, 600W for SLI.

I see you are going with the stock heatsink. Be sure to let me know what you think of it. ;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  28. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

ill get a zalman cooler sometime. Also i am going to get some artic 5 compound.

29. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Just got done building it. It runs great.

30. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Just as an update the 500 Watt psu is working out well for me. I want a new cpu cooler which i hope ill get soon.

31. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Good, I'm running two 9800GTs on a 500 ATM, though I will have to switch that out for a larger one before this tanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds