usb problem?????????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlwhite05, Dec 28, 2008.

1. earlwhite05

earlwhite05 Private First Class

ok guys what ive got is im running a wireless usb pen like drive to connect to the internet. ive got the belkin N wireless adapter it has a range of like 1200 feet, now heres the problem every time i connect it it tells me this device can preform faster on a 2.0 port but i dont have a 2.0 port on my puter. now i have the hard ware that i have in my stash of computer goodies that mounts in the back of my puter like a pci,but its not a card it has two wires that go to my motherboard. now i have serched my mother board and dont have a spot for them. my question is is their a fermware or a soft ware that i can get that will change one of my other ports to a 2.0????? or i just have to deal with it now i allerddy did a bios update b/c i upgraded my prosser from a 1.7ghz to a 2.8 ghz and my ram from 512mb to 2 gigs. thanks for your time and have a wonderfull day.:major

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

If you don't have USB2 ports, you don't have them. :cry

What OS are you using, and is it updated? I ask because it seems that in the past with older OS's and hardware, I would have to install service pack 2 on XP, then install the USB drivers, and I would have USB2. Pre SP2 they would only work at USB1 speed.

Check your mobo specs or post the exact model of it and we can see what you have.

3. earlwhite05

earlwhite05 Private First Class

ok i have a dell dimension4400 my service tag# is 94k0h11(eather a 0 or a o). im running xp home service pack 3 2.8ghz prosessr,2 1 gig sticks of ram,nivia geforce fx 5700,with 256mem,a dvd/cd rw with light scribe and my bios verson is the one on the dell site for this model.(the updated one) and thats about it the puter is dated like 1999 or 2000 either one im not shure.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The service tag does not work for me. I looked at the documentation, and the only info I saw was USB, not USB 2.0. Google tells me that USB 2.0 was finalized in 2001, so I don't think you have 2.0. Sorry I can't tell you for sure.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you look in Device Manager and then USB and you see Enhanced Host Controller then thats USB2.0 if not then your at USB1.0/1.1

Didnt see any USB header pins on the motherboards basic diagram to add a non-pci USB connection, know the USB backplate and cable I think you have as use them myself, but you need a USB2.0 header pins on mobo.

Manuals and stuff
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...?c=us&l=en&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_4400&cs=&s=gen

Would need a PCI USB2.0 add on card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds