blinking orange light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pegg, Dec 28, 2008.

1. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

My daughter turned off my Dell Dimension 4600c (4 years old?) for vacation.
    She then turned off the power strip - with surge protector.

We came home 5 days later and she turned everything back on but when the monitor stayed black she called me -- the power button was blinking orange.

I've googled this and searched on MG so I think this is some type of power failure...but isn't it odd that this happened when it was OFF?

Nothing else in the house suggests power failure or any weird event.

I opened up the case, reseated the memory sticks, looked for anything loose - nothing. Unplugged and replugged anything I could. Let pc sit unplugged for 1 hr....nothing.

I unplugged the harddrive and tried to start the pc with the HD unplugged -- nothing happens...just a blinking orange light -- no beeps, no noise, monitor stays black.

Do I start by replacing the power supply? I have no other desktops in my house (just the laptop I'm typing on).

I know this is trial and error. I could take my HD to work and test on another Dell - is that where I should start?

Thanks for the advice. I'd love to be able to find the culprit and replace it -- I just don't have spare parts around to swap in.

2. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

When the case was open - I did notice a light would turn on on the motherboard.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Look at this page do you have four lights on the back panel? If you do I guess all 4 are off?

Is your front panel light always orange or is it usually green?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Sorry - I should have mentioned this.
    Yes I have those 4 lights.
    Yes - they are all OFF

It is normally always green -- now it is ONLY blinking orange -- nothing else - not off, not green, not solid orange - constant blinking orange. AND it will blink even when I unplug the back of the pc for a little bit (??)

It is off now because I held in the button long enough to turn it off. When I try to turn it on - the little green light under the power light flashes on green for 1 sec, the power light flashes orange 5 times (as I'm holding it in) then turns off). No noise or hum or any activity elsewhere on the pc.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't think the HD has anything to do with it. Power supply is probably the culprit. Wait for a real hardware person to give you a starting point.

The only thing I would try, although probably not much use, is unplugging PC and removing the battery for a couple of minutes and then putting back and trying to boot.

6. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Sure - I'll try this -- I know most of my components but I don't know where the battery is on a desktop (something on the mb?)

I have also turned the power strip on & off several times (the other items plugged in it work fine) - didn't matter - and have it presently plugged into a different outlet.

I unplugged every usb and the monitor, keyboard, etc. and tried to start it - same effect.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

But previous times I've had the flashing orange power light on a couple of the Dells in my office, its been PSU fault, think one of the PCs has had 2 PSUs changed in 4yrs.

Yes battery is on motherboard and will look like a small silver button battery.

Also check motherboard for any corrosion to capacitors and the board itself, if board dusty get some canned air and blow it off as it maybe hiding something, or could use soft paintbrush to remove the dust.

8. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

removed and replaced -- still blinking orange

Little dust - no corrosion or parts off or broken.

I have no problem buying a psu - how do I know what to buy with (if I go to dell.com won't it only show me their proprietary part -- can I get a comparable version cheaper somewhere else?)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds