How To Get More Volume Out Of My SB Audigy ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Dec 29, 2008.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I have an Audigy sound card and non-powered bookshelf stereo speakers. It seems since I upgraded my rig I don't get much volume out of the speakers. My last get up with an SB16 would get quite loud.

Is there a system/hardware level setting somewhere other than through the standard Vista control panel in the system tray? It seems wonky to me that older technology would produce more volume.

Thanks for any help.

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Older sound cards sometimes had built-in amplifiers.

Newer sound cards do not. You need to buy an amplified set of speakers.

Take a look on http://www.newegg.com and look at Logitech speakers.

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Thank you kindly for the info. I figured I would need to score some speakers, but the amplifier info was news to me.

A sincere Thanks - I am quite familiar with Newegg;)

4. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

What kind of Audigy card is it? Like specifically? There are many known issues with Vista and older Creative cards. If i remember correctly, only the X-Fi cards work like they should under Vista. While the rest will be missing features, and won't be used to their full potential. Don't quote me on it, but I know there are some problems there with Creative sound cards.

5. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I can't recall specifically what Audigy I have, but I think all are compatible under Vista. I am familiar with the compatibility issues that you speak of, I think they relate to the old SB16 and Vista. Creative refused to support the SB16 with Vista, even though they could be made compatible with a minor programming tweak. Knowing this, one person made the tweak widely available, and was summarily given a Cease and Desist order by Creative. The community was not too happy. That is the entire reason I upgrade my sound card in the first place; to make my card compliant with Vista.

It looks like a shiny new pair of amplified speakers for me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds