High CPU usage/computer freeze

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripseven, Dec 29, 2008.

1. tripseven

tripseven Private First Class

Hi,
    I have been having some trouble with the computer (XP home w/SP2) freezing up and also note that the CPU runs constantly at 35 to 50% with nothing else running. I downloaded Belarc Adviser so I could better describe the system and its components. Curiously, Belarc says that I have two anti virus programs installed, Comodo and Avira. I uninstalled Avira about a month ago and can not find a trace of it left behind. There is nothing in program files, add/remove programs or the registry. I also uninstalled Zone Alarm at the same time. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Bill

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Try going to Start, Search and type in Avira and see if the hound can find anything you may have overlooked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds