Problems with Re-Writable DVD+RWs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scottportraits, Dec 29, 2008.

1. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

Monday Dec 29, 2008

Salutations and Hello again, MajorG Brigade,

I have a few rewritable DVDs from several years ago. I launched Windows Media Player and went through a process to erase them all (there was a small 'warehouse' of storage on them which I transferred back to my hard drive). When I put one in my USB peripheral DVD drive/burner, and click 'My Computer', it says the DVD is in there and is 'clean', that is, there's no data on it.
    But when I try to burn a 700 mb movie onto it with my DivX Player/Recorder it says 'insert a blank disc'.....fails to recognize it, and I am at a brick-wall.

Is there some trick to erasing and re-formatting a Verbatim 4.7 GB DVD + RW disk ? To clean these few I have and be able to temporarily record a movie and preview it before burning it permanently to a .42 cent fresh DVD-R....these are the burning issues of the day.
    I am getting the idea that these old (5yrs) rewritable DVD+RW's are not very good....are the brand new ones any better ? If not, than they are not worth it at any price.

Thanks for any ideas here,

-scottportraits

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try CDBurnerXP and let it erase the DVD before burning.

3. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

Dec 30, 2008

YES !!

Handy piece of software to have around....did the job perfectly (so far), and it is faster than the other one I tried off Google from where ever.

Thanks again, and we can call this case 'closed' to satisfaction.

yours truly,

-scottportraits

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds