dll error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lolli, Dec 30, 2008.

1. lolli

lolli Private E-2

im hope im putting this in the right forum. my problem is with a rtlgina2.dll error. i know how this problem occured. 2 weeks ago the way windows logon had changed so i went to change it back to classic mode and i received a messaged that a file (rtlgina2.dll) has changed the way windows logs on and it prompted me to delete the file, but i did not do this. i scanned the file with spyware terminator and it came up with an unknown threat. so not knowing where this file came from i thought i would move it to the desktop and restart the computer thinking i would get an error that the program belonged to. not so. when i rebooted my computer it goes to load windows and then i get an error (user interface failure)

the logon user interface DLL Rtlgina2.dll failed to load contact your system admin to replace or restore the original dll

i have tried to hit ctrl+alt+del twice during the windows loading screen and that does not work. i have tried to reboot in all safe mode options only to get a stop error. any other choices i make lead me back to the same error. i do not have a boot disc as i have a recovery console on the d drive. i have too much info to reformat at this time. i have read on the net that this file is associated with netgear wireless adaptor. which i have. any help will be EXTREMLY appreciated.
    thank you
    rhonda

2. deezeejoey

deezeejoey Private E-2

See if you can just download the dll off the internet and replace the old one. pretty easy, hardest part will most likely finding out where the dll lives.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. lolli

lolli Private E-2

Just a question thank you for your answer... If I use a boot up disk, will windows still prompt me with this log on screen.. this file "rtlgina2.dll" actually changed the way windows logs on...

Another question, i've been trying to locate a start up disk, but have not been able to come across one as of yet...

Is it possible to just copy msdos prompt to a cd.. then try to load it, and then move the file from the desktop back to the system32 folder????

Thank you so much

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sorry, I don't know.

Your best bet is to use a restore point before you moved the file but I'm not sure how to get restore to run from a boot floppy.

Are you able to tap F8 at boot up and select the option last known good configuration? I think this would come up before the login screen.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You can always use a 'live' boot CD like the UBCD4Win. It's a bootable CD that loads in to an environment that operates just like Windows. You will have unrestricted access to your hard drive(s). You can move/delete/replace any files on the hard drive. If you need to add new files, you can put 'em on a floppy, or on an external hard drive or flash drive. Just plug in the USB device before booting to the CD and once the CD has loaded, you can access the USB device as usual. The UBCD4Win is an indispensable tool for anyone with PC troubles. The how-to-build-the-CD guide can be found at this link. You'll need a functioning PC (duh), a Windows install CD, a CD burner, and a blank CD.

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds