Sound card - mic in problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shotgun_Shortz, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

So I had Vista on my computer, and I bought a 1/4th" to 1/8th" adapter and could easily play guitar through my speakers with the cable after plugging in into my computer. So I restart windows after plugging it in and trying it out, and I get a bluescreen. So I restart again and get into Windows Vista, of which NO MIC works, whether it be my guitar or headset. So I was thinking that it was my amp or the adapter that was destroyed, I tested the amp out and that wasn't it. So I ended up reformatting back to windows XP (I needed to anyways) and I STILL have the same problem NEITHER my headset works or my amp. So I was thinking it was a blown soudn card, BUT I also tryed plugging the headset and amp into the onboard soudn card and changed it to my default device for recording and still nothing. I have turned on stereo mix and played around with that, I even went into both of the mic inputs (both onboard and my soudn card) and made sure that mute was unchecked, which was, +20db didn't do anything.

I've run out of options to try out. I know my headset and amp aren't blown, I know my card isn't blown, I know that the mics aren't muted...

also, when I un-mute microphone (in volume control) and turn up the volume on it, I hear a crackling until I mute it again, not sure if that helps at all or not.

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Your adapter might be defective.

3. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

But my headset doesn't work either, with no adapter plugged in.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Then i'm sorry but it sounds like your headphones are now history.:cry
    But you might want to buy this headset to replace your other one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106070&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Headsets+and+Accessories-_-Plantronics-_-26106070 I own these and they have excellent audio playback and the mike is has a clear sound (I found that out while playing t est drive unlimited and was talking to to another player and he told me i sounded clear).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

my speakers work along wiht my headset microphone, I can play music with no problem. But it just doesn't record at all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds