CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metal Snake, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Metal Snake

Metal Snake Private E-2

I'm thinking about upgrading my cpu in my computer and I'd like to know what is the best processor I could upgrade to.

My board is a MICRO-STAR MS7145 and my current processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+.

Note: I am just interested in the processor.

Thanks

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Check their website and manual to see if you can plop in a dual, I otherwise wouldn't bother. I was able to put in an X2 3800+ into my ASUS board to replace my single cored Venice 3000+ which was a fantastic speed increase for me as I could then convert video in the background and not kill the system for surfing or anything else, all I had to do was install a new BIOS.

I don't know your board but moving up a few notches on a single core will not improve things much, not that you would really notice. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

4. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

Looks like if you wanna upgrade to a DECENT processor you will have to buy a new motherboard.

If you are on a budget then obviously go for AMD x2 processor but if not then go for Intel's core 2 duo or core 2 quad ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds