disk drive E: wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nubian13, Dec 30, 2008.

1. nubian13

nubian13 Private E-2

well my disk drive doesnt work when i put in a disk it says somthing like disk drive not functioning but when i click on properties its working properly what
    do i do so that it can work when i go to nero it says it shows up on the tests but nver completes them and i cant burn so what do i do to fix this:confused

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    The drive may have failed. If running WinXP: Go to the Device Manager (right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager) and click the little plus sign next to "DVD/CD-ROM Drives". The drive should be listed. Right click the drive and select "Uninstall". Then close the Device Manager and restart the PC. Let the desktop load up and let it sit idle for a couple of minutes. Then try to use the drive as you normally would. If it still doesn't work, post again and we'll try some other things. If using Vista, the process is different, but regardless of which version Windows you use, new CD/DVD drives are VERY inexpensive right now; new DVD burners are frequently under $35 at Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135184 (SATA connector)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129024 (IDE connector)
    A DVD burner will read and write any type of disc (CD or DVD; music/data/video/movies).

3. nubian13

nubian13 Private E-2

ok i tried that and the first times trying it out instead of the first error it gave me the messege "please inset disk"

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What version of Windows are you running?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds