New Laptop connecting to a network that is not secure.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sierra, Dec 31, 2008.

1. sierra

sierra Private First Class

I just bought a new wireless laptop (Windows Vista). I was trying to connect to the internet and when I went to choose a connection it said the one in our house is not secure. How do I go about securing this network on the old desktop? Scary to think I have been working on an insecure network. :confused:-o

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What kind of wireless router do you have? You will need to access the router (preferably with a wired computer) and enable the security. Pretty simple, just need the brand and model # to help you.

3. sierra

Happy New Year!
    The brand is Netgear and the model is WGR614RV (I think that is what the model is.) This is connected to my desktop and I am trying to secure it and then connect my new laptop.
    Thank you soooo much!

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I don't know about Netgear, but most wireless routers have the encryption options in the web configuration page, which is usually located at "http://routersIP"; ex: If the routers IP was 192.168.0.1, you could access it at "http://192.168.0.1". Somewhere inside the configuration page, you should be able to find wireless encryption/security settings. If you're using WPA, make sure you use a long key, which wouldn't be found in a dictionary. The only known cracks of WPA-PSK were when people used passphrases which were subject to "dictionary attacks".

After you've setup the encryption on the router, head over the wireless computers and scan for your wireless network with either Windows Wireless Zero, or other software provided with the wireless card. The card should find the network and ask for, or have a field for, the security settings (WPA key). Type in the key and you should be good to go.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Take a look here and see if your router is one of these: http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WGR614.asp

Looks like your login IP is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Read this and post any questions or problems you have. http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira...s/n101675.asp&answer_id=123732712#__highlight

And to add a little to Bill's post, make sure you change the default password to your router! If you leave it open, someone could acess it and change the settings and then change the password. (Not that I have ever done that to my friend...:-D)

Also, I would dissable the SSID broadcast. This will 'stealth' your router a little bit. If you just poke around in your router's setup, these are very easy to find and change.

6. sierra

Ok, I have the http://192.168.1.1 pulled up, bu I'm still confused. Sorry to be so duh! I don't want to mess this up. Thanks for your assistance and patience.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What is your exact router model #? WGR614RV is not an exact model from what I saw on their website. I am pretty sure the instructions are generic for the WGR614 routers, but I want to make sure I am looking at the same stuff you are.

8. sierra

On the underside of the router there is a Canada id # WGR614v5 and the network smart configuration on the desktop computer indicates WG311v2. Does this help at all? This was initially set up on a different computer which I do not have anymore. This desktop was set up with a wireless card.

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Download your manual in pdf form if you don't have the original. http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira...uestion&collection_restriction=docs&x=96&y=19

Access your router by typing "192.168.0.1" without the " " in the address bar of your browser (on a computer directly wired to the router)

Your default User Name should be admin Password is password From page 3-10 in the pdf manual. Now once you are in the router config, look on the lefthand side, and click on the Wireless setting, you should get a box with your wireless settings: Wireless Network and Security Options. Page 4-3 in the pdf file.

Let me know if you can get that far.

10. sierra

11. sierra

account name indicates WGR614v5

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Can you just go to the 192.168.1.1 main screen? The link you posted is your router config, the only person who can see that is you. If you can get to the main router config screen (should look like page 3-11 in the pdf manual) under Setup you should see Wireless Settings. Click on wireless settings you should have a box that says Wireless settings (page 4-3). You should see Wireless Network and Security Options.

Can you get to that?

13. sierra

I am there at Wireless Settings. This is where it indicates under security options - disable is checked.

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Good! Do you want WEP (pretty good, and simple) or WPA-PSK (a bit more secure)? Select the one you want. Don't worry, no changes will be saved untill you restart the router, so if you mess up, you can just restart the router and you will be back to where you were before. It can also be reset to factory defaults.

So select your flavor of security and post what it says. Should give you a place for a WEP key if you chose WEP.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  15. sierra

I chose the WEP. What do I select from these options?
    Thanks!

Security Encryption (WEP)
    Authentication Type: select automatic, open system, shared key
    Encryption Strength: 64bit or 128 bit

Security Encryption (WEP) Key
    Passphrase: Generate
    Key 1:
    Key 2:
    Key 3:
    Key 4:

16. sierra

Do any of these options effect my ability for the new laptop to access network?

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What you should do is enter a password into the Passphrase box. Write that down somwhere, you will need it for the laptop or any wireless computer to access the wireless network. The instructions are a bit vague to me, but I belive you hit the generate button after entering the Passphrase. Try that and write any additional letters/numbers in the Key boxes, and hit Apply.

18. sierra

What do I choose for the following?
    Security Encryption (WEP)
    Authentication Type: select automatic or open system or shared key
    Encryption Strength: 64bit or 128 bit

19. sierra

This is what was in the instructions which make little sense to me.
    Security Encryption (WEP) Key

If WEP is enabled, you can manually or automatically program the four data encryption keys. These values must be identical on all PCs and Access Points in your network.

Automatic Key Generation (Passphrase)

Enter a word or group of printable characters in the Passphrase box and click the Generate button to automatically configure the WEP Key(s). If encryption strength is set to 64 bit, then each of the four key boxes will automatically be populated with key values. If encryption strength is set to 128 bit, then only the selected WEP key box will automatically be populated with key values.

Manual Entry Mode

Select which of the four keys will be used and enter the matching WEP key information for your network in the selected key box.

For 64 bit WEP - Enter ten hexadecimal digits (any combination of 0-9, A-F).

For 128 bit WEP - Enter twenty-six hexadecimal digits (any combination of 0-9, A-F).

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

WPA would be easier I think. If you have a laptop with Vista, it should be WPA ready. I just looked at my router settings, and that is simpler. If you can't go back to the screen where you can select WEP or WPA, log out of the router config and log back in.

21. sierra

What does this mean?
    Key Lifetime

This setting determines how often the encyption key is changed. Shorter periods provide greater security, but adversely affect performance. If desired, you can change the default value.

22. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Did a little reading on WEP. And I am sorry I am not up to date on all this. The 4 keys are used for encryption. You should change them all along or someone can hax in. Try the WPA, better, more simpler.

If you setup using the WPA and don't broadcast the SSID you will be pretty secure! Can you try the WPA instead of the WEP on your router config?

23. sierra

Yes, I can set up the WPA since I haven't applied anything yet. What do you mean by broadcast the SSID? Did you read my last question about Key Liftetime. It wants you to put in minutes. Any suggestions on that?

24. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Key lifetime is the life of the encryption keys. WPA is much simpler and better. Set it up for WPA, put in a case sensitive password, restart the router, then connect the laptop and enter the WPA password. Nice, simple and much better than an open wireless router!

25. sierra

So the key lifetime can be set for a certain number of minutes. What do you suggest? This is under the WPA configuration.

26. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Here are some questions for you.
    What type of wireless environment are you located in - urban with lots of wireless; suburban with medium wireless connections; boonies with none but your own?
    What type of internet usage - online workplace connections with proprietary information; online banking with sensitive information; surfing and email only?
    How long each day are you going to use the wireless connection?
    The more sensitive the information and the longer each day you use the wireless, the more security you want enabled and the more frequently you want to change the keys.

Use the longest key length available under WPA - that increases the strength of the encryption.
    As to WPA key life, once a month would probably be overkill for most situations unless you are paranoid or have very sensitive information. In that case, you should use a wired set up anyway. (Month in minutes - 44640)

I don't see mentioned another item needed - change the default router log-in username and password.
    Also, here is a link to some wireless security guidelines from one of the network gurus here - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Hope this helps.

27. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I would leave the key lifetime at the default, or like lbmest said. Mine is at 3600 secs, I never mess with it.

28. sierra

The default was 60 minutes, so that is why I asked. That sounds like I would have to change this passphrase every 60 min. Is that what that means? If so, I would definitely change it to once a month or longer.

I am in a suburban area with moderate wireless, although Dell (the company) is less than 2 miles away from my home. Not sure if that is important information.

I think I am almost ready to try this. I hate to mess things up. You all are so helpful.

29. sierra

I just noticed that there is only space for 3 digits, so does that mean that I will be changing this password daily? :confused

30. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

its not easy to mess up wireless security. youll be fine with wep. type a password into the password area and hit generate. youll have 4 keys to choose from, defaulted on key 1 i believe. the letters and numbers(hex) that youll see in the key 1 area is what youll type in to your computer when you try to connect. very simple, there is not much more to it than that. the key lifetime, like fred said can be left on default. the key lifetime has nothing to do with you actually having to change the key.

31. sierra

Will wep work the new Vista laptop?

32. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

yes. everything should work fine. if not just post back and im sure someone will be able to help you further

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds