Harddrive enclosure won't show all files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smartslug, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Smartslug

Smartslug Private First Class

Hey, I had a put my old laptop harddrive into a external harddrive enclosure and I'm having trouble finding the majority of the contents.

I'm able to locate about 7GB's of the harddrive's ~55gb total, but the rest I'm unable to find. I can see "hidden files", so I don't think that's the problem.

And ideas?

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

what are the files you are looking for. Are they your "documents and settings" files?

3. Smartslug

I'm looking for the pictures I saved...I did a search for any ".jpg" files and noting came up.

I right click on the drive and it shows ~55gb's used and ~25gb free

When I open the drive and click on the ~7 folders, they only add up to approx. 7gb's...far shy of the 55gb's the drive claims to contain...

4. Smartslug

This is what I see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

You may try opening a command prompt as administrator and typing "chkdsk g: /r" without the quotes and pressing enter.

This will check the HDD for any software based errors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds