Ram problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flyingaddict, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Flyingaddict

Flyingaddict Private E-2

Hi folks.

I have just installed 2 new 1 gig sticks of PC2700 DDR ram into my advent 3112 comp and it is showing 2 x 512 as being there. I have run Everest home edition and it says I have 1 gig onboard. My mobo is a sys651 with 2 x dimm ram slots. Also crucial.com shows 2 x 512 installed.

The original ram was 1 x 512 MB DDR RAM - PC2100. I added another of these some time ago to get 1 gig and it worked. I thought that the 2700 was backwards compatible.

There is nothing on the new sticks to identify them or their capacity. I got them on Ebay here : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130277886348

Any help out there please?

Happy new year to you all :)

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

It seems that if crucial only sees them as 512 that is what they must be.... no stickers of any kind?
    I also have an older pc that uses DDR memory. It is getting difficult and pricey to find it...I just paid 60 bucks for a new stick 1 gb from a local store.

That pretty much rules out a hardware malfunction

There was something about paired sticks of memory but it escapes me at the moment....stick around there are lots of knowledgeable people here

3. Flyingaddict

Flyingaddict Private E-2

:-o QUICK UPDATE.

I think that I have the answer. This ram is high density and it seems a common problem for people upgrading older machines thinking that it will work for them when it won't.

I have found this:

"There seems to be a lot of confusion with understanding high density and low density memory modules. I will try and clear this up a little.
    A lot of people can obtain high density memory for a ?cheap? cost. These as usually branded as generic or do not have a brand name on them. While they save money on this memory, it may not work with their specific motherboard. A majority of motherboards do not accept high density modules. They usually show or register as half of what they spec out or advertised to be (i.e. bought a 1GB module and it only shows as 512MB), or they don?t work at all. This is common on all size modules. DDR and standard SDRAM included.

First rule, Double sided memory is not always low density modules. High density modules can have 16 chips (8 on each side). 'Standard' RAM chips are organized a DEPTH x 8 Bits. E.g. 32x8, 64x8, etc. That means 8 of the chips make up a 64 bit wide rank (memory bus is 64 bits wide). "Double Sided" is an old term to describe a stick with 16 chips, 8 on each side. And with DEPTH x 8 chips that makes for 2 ranks (or, again in an older style terminology: 2 'banks')."

There is quite a bit more but I don't wanna bore you :)

Does anyone think that this is the answer?

4. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

That is a plausible solution.
    Much better than the way I was thinking (that you got ripped off on ebay) LOL

Petaluma

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I think you found your answer. :cry

6. Flyingaddict

Flyingaddict Private E-2

:cry That's the answer alright.

Oh well lesson learned.

Pity because this comp has seved me very well for 4 or 5 years now. I will need 2 x 1 gig sticks of PC2100 SDRAM to upgrade it when it's probably worth half of what I will pay for the ram :(

Many thanks for replies folks.

Up..up and awayyyyy (With an awful frame rate) :)

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

8. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Or you can contact Advent and cry to them, and see if they have a BIOS update for you that solves the problem. ;)

Before you do though, install just one of your new 1GB sticks and see if it reads as 1GB or 512MB. If your system caps at 1GB, it might read the pair as two 512MB's, as a way of unconfusing itself.

Nothing wrong with gripping at straws, right? :)

9. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

Yep probably not compatible with your motherboard, that RAM is also of very low speed/spec and I bet the rest of your pc is also old like that time you got a new PC with all the latest memory , graphics , processor..:p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds