New Comp Shuts Down When I Run Games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ashaman800, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Ashaman800

Ashaman800 Private E-2

Hi everyone. I'm having a very annoying problem recently. I recently purchased a new pc. Everything started up fine and stable, I loaded up World of Warcraft and my comp shut down at the login screen, no bsod, no error message just off and then back on.

Over the last 2-3 days it has continued to happen. One day I was able to get in for about an hour, and later that day about 10 minutes, then it would auto crash right when I started the program. I tried it with Heroes of Might and Magic 5 and it does the same, also when I tried to run Everest it crashed too when getting system specs. Now it automatically shuts down whenever I try to run anything. The wierd thing is that after WoW started to auto crash I played Crysis on high for 2 hours with no problems. I havent played it since however.

My System:
    Intel i7 920 quad core 2.66GHz
    Asus Rampage II Extreme mobo
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB
    Ultra X3 1000W Modular PSU
    6GB (2x3) Corsair Dominator PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz
    200GB Sata HD with Windows XP Pro 32 bit
    Sony DVD RW DRU-865S

My system runs fine when I'm not running anything. Speedfan has my CPU temp at 34-36c and my GPU at 56C.

I'm at a loss, it's looking like an overheating issue, but either my CPU or GPU are doubling in temperature (or more) in 10-15 seconds, and the comp instantly restarts. In the past when I had a CPU overheating, I had to wait a few mins to even start the machine back up.

I have updated all drivers from the official websites and am using Thermaltake Armor case with stock fans. I have a Windows XP 64 install but don't know if I should install that and see if it fixes anything.

The gaming crashes dont create any memory dumps, but the crash from Everest did, and it stated the file as kerneld.wnt but I couldn't find anything online about it.

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm kind of at a loss and I'm really hoping I can enjoy my new computer like I intended. As of right now its an expensive paperweight for all intents and purposes.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

First, since you have a 32bit Windows, about half of the 6gb of RAM is just sitting there, unused. 32bit architecture can only address a maximum of 4gb of RAM; but after all the devices and video card are addressed, the actual amount is closer 3.2gb or 3.5gb. To get full use of the RAM, a 64bit OS is necessary, but this shouldn't be effecting your crashing. The fact that the video card is 56c at idle is a bit worrisome. You should run the Fur Rendering test in GPU Caps Viewer. It is really a workout for the video card and will display the temperature. I have feeling the card is getting too hot. You should also run the full set of tests in Video Memory Stress Test and run a lengthy test with Video Card Stability Test. It looks like a basic program, but it's really good at pinpointing faulty video cards, or if the card is artifacting due to high temperatures.

3. Ashaman800

Ashaman800 Private E-2

Well I ran the Fur rendering program and it was clipping along at 127fps. My GPU was slowly climbing in temp, and after 5 minutes it had risen to 87C and thats when it shut off :( The CPU only went to 45C and stayed steady there. So what are my options for cooling on the card? Will another fan work or should I look into water cooling?

4. Ashaman800

Ashaman800 Private E-2

The stability test ran for about 11 seconds before shutting down :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds