Drive Permissions in Vista?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pwc, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Pwc

Pwc Private E-2

I have a system running Windows Vista Business where I have replaced the DVD-RW drive with a new one. However, the icon on the drive shows a symbol with the circle and a line through it, much like a no-smoking sign, but with the drive in the middle. When I try to access any media that I insert into the drive, the system gives me an 'Access Denied' error.

Keep in mind this is a brand new, LiteON LH-20A1L DVD-RW drive. The device is working properly in the Device Manager, as is the controller. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling both in safe and normal mode without luck. I have checked the LiteON site for updates for any drivers or firmwave, of which there are none.

As well, I inspected the security settings in the Security properties of the root drive through My Computer. When I look at the owner, it says 'unable to display current owner.', and will not allow me to take ownership of it. Not sure at all what to do to gain access/permissions to the drive, please help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds