video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slydon, Jan 4, 2009.

1. slydon

slydon Private First Class

Is nvidea 8800gtx card a good one to run microsoft flight sim 10? If not then suggestions please.

Don

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I would recommend looking at this article first:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2086.html
    and choose the best card that you can afford.

I suspect that an 8800gtx is more than enough to play the Flight Simulator, but the 8800gts is cheaper for almost the same amount of power.

I would note that the 8800gtx is an old generation of card. You may be better off looking at a 9#00 type card, as it is the most recent generation. Also, I don't know about other purchasing websites, but newegg.com often lets you return products you buy for any reason for a certain amount of time. If you bought a card from then and decided it does not match you needs, you could return it and buy a more expensive card.

3. slydon

slydon Private First Class

Thanks for the advice

Don

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Flight Sim X is a monster of a game. I have yet to see ANY systems that can run the game with all the settings on high. The 8800GTX is a great a video card, but you will have to turn many of the in-game details down in order for the game to run properly. I guy I know is running Flight Sim X on a 1gb 9800GTX+ with a Quad core Intel CPU and 4gb of DDR2-800 memory, and he has to turn down many of the settings in order to achieve smooth flight without the jerkiness you might see with the in-game settings turned up too high.

5. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I was not aware the game was so graphically intensive

6. Deckard

Deckard Private E-2

The 8-series is more or less obsolete now. Go for the GTX260 -the newer Core216 versions, or the ATI 4870 1GB cards. These are better options.

I made the leap from a 8800GT 512MB to a GTX260 recently, for playing Farcry2 and Fallout3, and I couldn't be happier with my choice :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds