Confusing problem with hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dg4727, Jan 4, 2009.

1. dg4727

dg4727 Private E-2

When I insert a zip or floppy, information seems to be copied on to the zip or floppy , that I did not intend on copying. The info that was on the drives, seems to have been deleted. What could be causing this to happen. Does anyone have an idea. Thank you for responding.

2. dg4727

dg4727 Private E-2

I forgot to mention that I formatted my hard drive and reloaded XP Pro

3. frapper

frapper Private First Class

Is this a virgin floppy with nothing on it? If you know the contents (if any) prior to inserting it, then view the contents after you believe the mystery writing occurs.

It's also possible that your anti-virus program is set to check any floppy that you insert to guard against viruses. That might be what you hear.

Also, put some safe text file on a blank floppy. Insert it. After the mystery writing (or access) occurs, look gain at the contents to see what, if anything, has changed.

4. frapper

frapper Private First Class

I'm also a bit confused by your topic: Confusing problem with hard drive

And this: ...The info that was on the drives, seems to have been deleted

Are you really saying that when you insert a floppy, then something is deleted from your hard drive? Can you be a bit more clear? Thanks.

5. dg4727

dg4727 Private E-2

I just put in some new email addresses in outlook express address book today and after that, stuck in my thumb drive and it had already copied the new addresses to the thumb drive. ????? Thank you so much for taking your time to help me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds