Home Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sobeit, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hi all.
    I am trying to set up a home network.
    I have the main computer hard wired to the wireless router in the loft, daughters computer connected via wireless, other daughters laptop connected via wireless.
    Did all the settings on each computer.
    My computer shows in the network and so does the other computer but the laptop is nowhere to be seen.

We are all on XP and I have obviously followed the steps correctly as two are talking and sharing files, printers etc.
    Any clues? Is there something else I have missed due to it being a laptop?
    Cheers.

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823305

Microsoft has this solution of the problem, to be honest I haven't tried it but I had the same issue on several of my computers over the years and I usually re installed the home network until it showed up. If this solution works i guess I wasted hours trying to get mine up and running. I never thought to do this. Let me know if it works.

3. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately this isn't my problem, there are no bridges on any of the comps.
    I have now been able to see all comps on the laptop, sometimes, sometimes I can only see comp1?
    When I try to access shared folders on comp1 using the laptop it says that the path to comp1 is unaccesible, suggesting that I have some sort of security on comp1, yet if I try to access comp1 from comp2 all works fine?
    How simple was this meant to be!!

4. lovemymcdreamy

lovemymcdreamy Private First Class

I use Network Magic it is awesome. It allows you to share and all kinds of things. It is a one time fee. Then you are given a access code. I paid 20.00 and have used it for years. I love it. Then you have no problems with your home network. Give it a try. It is so easy to use. Ahh the fee is 25.00 now but it is a one time fee. You get a trial for 7 days to try it. Hope this helps you.

http://www.purenetworks.com/download/

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have you created the exact same user account on all machines and logged into them at least once?

6. lovemymcdreamy

lovemymcdreamy Private First Class

Network Magic gives you a map and automatically adds all your computers. By installing it on each computer in your house. It does all the configuration for you. You make it your Primary Network.

7. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hi both.
    Yes Tim, as I said, it is recognising the network but not working as it should.
    I will have a look a t network magic lmmd, cheers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds