Need some advice on what i should do.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by »S3000NX«, Jan 7, 2009.

1. »S3000NX«

»S3000NX« Private E-2

so i have my compaq which has an FIC AM37 mobo with an AMD XP 2000+ 1.67Ghz processor. its got 3 PCI slots and one AGP slot. it holds 2 sticks of DDR PC2100 and ive got a Gb of ram in it. also has a VIA chipset.

And i also have my HP Pavilion 504n which has a Trigem GL VE mobo with a Celeron i think thats 2Ghz. the heatsink is pretty big but there is no cpu fan, there was just a 92mm case fan with a duct going to it... i lost it. so now its got some random 40mm fan i found on it so i guess thats better than nothing right? its got 3 PCI slots and no AGP so i wouldnt be able to use my GeForce4 MX440 but i do have an OLD virge PCI VGA card i could probably use. the onboard graphics on the Trigem arent that bad either. its got an intel chipset and it uses and supports the same amount of RAM as in my Compaq.

im thinking of swithing them so i can have a faster system. but with all the pros and cons listed, would it be worth it? i need some advice from knowledgeable people. also, im not a gamer, so the only reason i really have the GeForce card is so i can get the resolution i like. any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance :biggrin:

the HP
    [​IMG]

the Compaq
    [​IMG]

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

The processor you have now will probably be faster then the 2 gig celeron. I would stay with the amd personally.If there is a difference it will be minimal at best and with the mx440 video card you'll actually have a little more free ram versus using onboard which uses part of the system ram for display purposes.

3. »S3000NX«

»S3000NX« Private E-2

wow, the 2Gb would be faster? i dont understand how.

4. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

Just buy a new PC, because both of those PCs are pretty slow with old & slow parts..
    You can get good PCs for good deals in most electrical/PC stores..

5. »S3000NX«

»S3000NX« Private E-2

i had a new lenovo from christmas after my ecs mobo wouldnt work and vista crashed and wouldnt recognize my wireless card. so we just said screw it and stick to the old system and get a gig of ram. very long story on the whole christmas thing. too frustrating and long to explain.

6. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

the way they were rated at that time the amd @1.67 was equivalent to a 2.0 gig intel hence the xp 2000+ designation. the celerons were notoriously slow and the amd xp2000+ outperformed the celeron 2.0. Does that clear it up a little?

7. »S3000NX«

»S3000NX« Private E-2

yeah it does, thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds