some issues with vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by the_artz19, Jan 7, 2009.

1. the_artz19

the_artz19 Private First Class

i just recently got windows vista ultimate, and am running the 64 bit version. overall the experience has been fine but there are a few things bother me.
    there may be more to come, but firstly, i cannot run certain tasks such as immunizing with spybot because it says i do not have administrative power. i was wondering if there is any easier option to undue this besides making the actual administrator account disable through cmd(which i have done but foresee to be annoying unless i made that my normal account).
    aside from that i also wonder if there is a post/site/or other recourse i could use that is designed for quickening vista and taking out all the permission asking safeguards.

there may be issues with programs that i am still installing to get my computer back to were it was, but i am making sure to have everything else updated before i post any problems with them.

thanks for any help.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

One of the security features of Vista is not to allow just anybody who stumbles in to run applications by accident.
    The way to get programs to run fully is "Right "click the program icon and from the drop down list select "run as administrator"then it will give you full control.

3. the_artz19

i see, yea i was noticing that at least on a few things but somehow didnt fully register this early. well now i probably need to look into turning off whatever windows protection is asking permission to run the same programs over and over again.
    now just fingers crossed everything else works as i install.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That is called the Universal Account Control (UAC). You can easily turn it off if you want but then your system is less secure.

5. the_artz19

well if turning that off simply meant that it didn't ask me every time i started a program if i wanted to, then i would be fine with that since i have comodo, which asks me every time i use a new program or something looks off.
    however if that service is involved in some other windows protection then i guess i shall simply have to live with it. especially since the limited information i saw, said that stopping some of these functions might also cause mysterious problems elsewhere.

6. augiedoggie

Well Comodo asks you if you want an application to connect and is totally separate from what UAC does which stops something from loading in the first place without your consent. I'm not sure about what you mean by 'mysterious problems elsewhere'.

7. the_artz19

ok, well i guess i simply wish that there was a way for this protection to realize when i have already used a program before and not to keep asking me. since it is under the same circumstances each time.
    and as far as the mysterious circumstances, the article wasn't specific either. just saying that stopping this windows protection might cause issues unrelated to the program and its protection.

8. augiedoggie

I agree that it is an unnecessary pain and is being somewhat addressed in Windows 7, the next MS OS, but that doesn't help you now. I mean, why not treat applications like a firewall does, let it through if it's the same as the previous run or if something has changed (like an update or worse) and only then throw up a flag. :confused Hey, I don't get the big bucks they do so what do I know eh?rolleyes There is a fine balance between usability and security and I think after all the criticism that MS got for XP's openness, the pendulum swung a bit too far in the other direction.

MS is between a rock and a hard place on that one.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  9. the_artz19

true, and yet all these issues get no more attention than the pc vs mac commercials. i have heard more people hate the differences in menus than that. of course i guess the if it isn't broke don't change it, doesn't always apply when you just want something to look new regardless of simplicity and functionality.

anyway im just hoping that vista with things like 64 bit, direct x10, and so on makes it worth it.... at least i haven't had any driver issues like most articles seemed to say i was bound to.

anyway, thanks for all the quick input.

10. augiedoggie

Ya on menus etc., go figure eh?:-D It's a low learning curve but people are creatures of habit. 'But I always did it this way'.rolleyes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds