Office 2007 Pro Validation?????

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bill E, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

I have just had a popup on my computer claiming that the brand new sealed copy of MS Office 2007 Pro is not genuine.

When I follow the links I get this http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/of...0826-4e70-9b7a-d4fa29a188ca&displayMode=popup when I follow the link to
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/FailureReport.aspx?displaylang=en&cC
    ode=AUS&Error=108&PartnerID=405&sGuid=ba4d70bf-0826-4e70-9b7a-d4fa29a188ca&d
    isplayMode=popup I get this page I have contacted the merchant from ebay who has responded with;

"Once Microsoft has checked your copy of Office and has confirmed you had a legit copy (it did this when you first installed and the product key got the tick), there is no decent point or reason to check it again and again every boot. This is basically what Microsoft does when certain Microsoft updates have been sneakily installed onto your computer.

The workaround is very simple. I have attached 2 files within fixes.zip which you will need to extract and then open. That will solve the problem".

ogavalidationfix.exe and removeWGA.exe has anyone else had to use this?

I don't trust MS not to put stuff on my computer but just need to be sure of what is happening here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Have you contacted MS?

3. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

Not yet... just trying to get some more info together, the person I bought from is communicating with me about this so that's a good sign.

So for the moment I'm trying to get to the bottom of it and find out if anyone else has experienced this.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

ogavalidationfix.exe and removeWGA.exe relate to Office Genuine Advantage and Windows Genuine Advantage, both software validation tools used by Microsoft. Here's some info: Microsoft to add the Genuine Advantage nag to Office

I really can't say what's going on in your situation but my guess is that the Office 2007 software you bought on ebay has been installed by someone else and was registered by a previous user. Microsoft has that previous registration in their records and that's why you're getting the message. I'm with buggabear here; I think you should contact MS and explain how you got your software.

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

This just doesn't smell good. If the vendor is talking to you....ask for your money back. I'm agreeing that the software may be installed on another machine....and if so, I don't think MS will talk to you.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

As you say jconstan, this "just doesn't smell good." However, I think Bill has nothing to lose by contacting MS. I think they may be willing to help him install and use his software. Of course, they'll probably also want to know who he purchased it from; he should be prepared to tell them as much as possible.

Bill_E, if you can't get this resolved by contacting MS, I'd sure contact the person who sold Office 2007 to you and tell them you want to return it and get a refund. If they won't cooperate, then find out whether ebay will assist in some way. I believe they may have a complaint resolution procedure or something of that nature to help buyers in situations like this.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

TBH, I would agree with usafveteran in that if you run say office genuine advantage and it comes up as not passing letitimacy that you contact Microsoft and give them the Licence Code and they will know if this one has been activated before or not and be able to advise you on the route to take as some licence codes sometimes flag up as none genuine when they are, especially if you have had issues installing it before as the code is stil listed on the database linked to being activated before, if you have had issues before and I remember you had issues removing a non-legal version then installing this if same PC.

Run Validate office here http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en

8. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

The seller hasn't reponded to my email of this morning.

I paid using PayPal so have lodged application through the Resolution Process so hopefully they will have a way to prompt the seller for a refund, I paid by Card so will also speak to the card company.

I have spoken to MS support, they asked me to take some photographs of both sides of the discs, the booklet etc and the packaging so I will do that and email to the address they gave me.

Funny I know a number of people who use pirated software with no qualms or problems but as soon as I try to do the right thing.....

Thanks for the interest and support from those who chose to assist.

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I have purchased software through ebay several times with no problems. I would surely like to know who sold you this software so I can avoid them in the future.

10. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

All will be revealed in due course because this might go on for some time, legaly I shouldn't identify the seller at this stage but be careful who you deal with.

11. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

UPDATE: OK we have moved on a bit since I was last here, MS tell me the Product Key belongs to a large multinational or education facility who have a Volume License Key, in MS eyes this at best stolen software but may be a high grade counterfeit, a local computer store had a look at the discs and compared them to the copy they have they pointed out there are very small "Bubbles" under the lable other than that they couldn't find anything different to the discs they compared them with BUT they said as soon as they saw the bubbles that the software was fake.

I have sent MS some high quality proffesional photos and they are now considering providing me with a complimentary copy of the Office Professional 2007 software after I provided MS with the sellers details by filing a Piracy report. They say they may need to have the actual software sent but for the moment think the photos are enough, can take 4 to 6 weeks to resolve.

Meanwhile I have sent PayPal all the documentation from the eBay listing which shows the software advertised as "Retail" version as available in the shop, they should make a decision on the validity of the claim in 3 to 5 days which is this sunday or Tuesday.

12. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Thanks for the update. Hope you get that complimentary copy of the Office Professional 2007 from Microsoft. Sounds like you're on the right track.

13. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Please report back on this matter.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds