What does this mean? domain_not_set.invalid

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dyamond, Mar 3, 2009.

1. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Ok.. I havent much used my desktop (its Windows XP SP2) ever since I got my laptop in Dec. but I decided to hop on the desktop the other day, (so it not sitting there collecting dust LOL) and everything was SOOO terribly slow.. It takes forever to load ANY page and I went to update some of my programs and seriously it took 10 minutes to download updated from MBAM and another 10 to install them!!

So, I figured something had to be wrong somewhere. So, I checked my modem and all the lights are on and all the wires and everything were good and in System > Network Connections it says everything is fine and connected. So, I decided to check my ipconfig, and this is where it gets weird..

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid

Its never said that before, I think it used to always say the name of my ISP. So I guess what Im asking is.. How did it change? can I change it back? and is it the reason Im getting a terrible connection? If you need more info, let me know.. Im not very bright when it comes to networking LOL

Sorry for the long post.. but thanks to who ever replies :)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you go to your network properties for you connection / highlight tcp/ip / properties.....is it set to auto detect the dns?

3. dyamond

Yes it is.

4. TimW

Recycled the modem and router? Tried a direct connect thru the modem?

5. dyamond

Its just a modem hardwired to the desktop, I dont have a router yet. Yes, I've power cycled it too.

6. TimW

So you are connected....just slow. Are you sure you havent just gotten jaded by the laptop? :)

7. dyamond

You know, at first I thought it was that b/c my lappy is dream! :-D but it still doesnt explain why it says this = domain_not_set.invalid

I KNOW it never said that before.

8. TimW

Go to Network Connections-->Properties--TCP/IP-->Advanced,
    You need to put in your isp addy in place of the domain_not....... Check it against the laptop.

9. dyamond

Ok, I will try that when I get home from practice. I'll let ya know what happens. Thanks for the help :)

10. TimW

You can access your modem by putting the gateway ( 192.168.1.1 --> check your ipconfig) in your browser which should tell you the isp dns.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds